Smart meter - No electric info displayed

We have had a new smart meter installed on Friday 26th April, although the gas symbol and data is displayed there is no electric symbol or data displayed! Is this a fault?

New smart meter fitted yesterday, with the same problem. must be an answer to this.

Same. Same date. Come on Bulb.

I also have same issue. Installed 29 April

We have the same issue, installed yesterday 30th April

Search community for smart meter problems, its been going on since February I think, I had mine 3 weeks ago, same problem.

Hi everyone,

For those of you experiencing a problem with your In-Home Display - please could you fill out this form so we can work on getting that fixed.

We’ve recently written an update on our smart meter installations, to address how we’re handling any hiccups. Have a read of that and let us know if you have any queries.

@“William at Bulb”, just to make things clear, from an outsider’s perspective, this update took far too long to start with, makes it seem like the issue is only affecting a small number of people (when in reality it’s obviously going to be affecting almost everyone, which Bulb is entirely aware of) and it can no longer be considered as recent.

Posting on the forum in that way also doesn’t do anything for the vast majority of Bulb members who don’t visit this platform.

Basically, please sort this communication fiasco out, email everyone who has potentially been affected and then maybe regain some trust from your customers.

Hi @mowcius, thank you for raising your concerns. The In-Home Display issues are not affecting the majority of Bulb members, but we appreciate that it can look a bit manic on community at times - those with a working IHD, tend to be a silent majority.

We’re learning a lot, and hopefully the big update @“Eleanor at Bulb” has written reflects this.

For members who aren’t on Community - we’re currently planning changes to our communication to better manage expectations. We recognise that this is an area that needs improvement and listening to your feedback is essential to this. If anyone has any suggestions based on their own smart meter experience, we would love to hear them.

Hi @mowcius, thank you for raising your concerns. The In-Home Display issues are not affecting the majority of Bulb members, but we appreciate that it can look a bit manic on community at times - those with a working IHD, tend to be a silent majority.
Have you actually asked anyone who's not spoken up whether or not they're having issues? I know a number of people who have new smart meter installations with issues but they've not said anything to Bulb because it's a minor thing. I don't know anyone who has one that's working completely as it should be. If there was a majority working, I'd expect at least one person on the forum to be one of those people, or at least know one of those people. In other threads the question has been asked and nobody has spoken up. The majority of Bulb members also don't have new smart meters yet.

Even if we for a moment take what you’re saying to be true, the community is one of the many faces of Bulb and comment after comment about people having issues with no resolution has been damaging all of them.

If anyone has any suggestions based on their own smart meter experience, we would love to hear them.
Email.

Amen to this. I queried why I needed to send meter readings and had a reply basically saying my gas meter is not ‘smart’ and we still need to send readings due to the fact the engineer could not connect the gas meter to the electricity meter. Why on earth am I just finding this out now? The only reason I do know is because I have chased them up on email. Oh my electricity meter is ‘smart’ as it sends auto readings, shame the IHD is utter rubbish, displaying the ubiquitous ‘waiting on data’.

I reiterate what @mowcius posted - KEEP US INFORMED, after all we do keep you in a job.

PS I have also been informed I need an ‘extender’ to connect the two meters… likely to happen towards the end of the year. Fabulous.

@"William at Bulb", just to make things clear, from an outsider's perspective, this update took far too long to start with, makes it seem like the issue is only affecting a small number of people (when in reality it's obviously going to be affecting almost everyone, which Bulb is entirely aware of) and it can no longer be considered as recent.

Posting on the forum in that way also doesn’t do anything for the vast majority of Bulb members who don’t visit this platform.

Basically, please sort this communication fiasco out, email everyone who has potentially been affected and then maybe regain some trust from your customers.

Hi @mowcius and @Finty,

The majority of smart installations are successful and come with fully functional IHDs. We’re now seeing more people on Community with a working IHD and we’re hoping to see this number rise exponentially - especially as we become more efficient in implementing a fix for those with a faulty IHD.

We appreciate that many of you are more upset over Bulb’s communication, rather than the installation. We agree that this needs to be improved, hence why our emails are currently undergoing an upgrade. The more communication between Bulb and our members, the better - we have always valued transparency and the smart meter roll should be no exception to this.

Feedback from Community gets passed over to the smart team. One thing that we’re hearing from you - timeframes are important. It can be tricky to provide a concrete answer to these type of questions, but we’ll have a discussion in Bulb to see how we can get eliminate some of the uncertainty.

@“William at Bulb” thank you for your post. I am extremely exasperated with Bulb right now. I had an email asking for meter readings which I queried. I got a reply saying I didn’t need to provide readings as I have smart meters… Then I received another email asking me for readings followed by ‘sorry that was an error’, we don’t need readings. Then received yet another email saying as my gas meter is not ‘smart’ I need to provide a reading. I cannot submit readings, there is no facility to do this in the app since the ‘smart’ meter installation. The app is showing correct reading for electricity but nothing for gas since installation. I am still awaiting a reply on what they expect me to do. Is there no communication between departments? From what I’m seeing it appears not. I’m rapidly losing faith in Bulb and my patience is wearing thin. Sick and tired of wasting time on this and will soon be going down an official complaint channel if no resolution is forthcoming.

The majority of smart installations are successful and come with fully functional IHDs. We're now seeing more people on Community with a working IHD and we're hoping to see this number rise exponentially - especially as we become more efficient in implementing a fix for those with a faulty IHD.
I get that you keep saying this, but I'm afraid still won't believe it until I actually start hearing about some of these (initially) successful installs from members.

I’ve seen maybe two or three people announce that their setup has been fixed (by Bulb) here on the community, but as nothing’s been said about what the issue actually is or why it’s occurring, I’m not sure I’d trust that as a permanent fix.

It does sound like you might know a little about the issue though so maybe you can tell us a bit about what it is?
Is it a firmware issue with the IHDs?
Some kind of programming error with some of the communications hubs?
Some kind of user error with the Siemens installation? (this seems unlikely as I’ve seen what their install consists of multiple times now)
Some kind of hardware fault? (seems unlikely that this could be resolved remotely)
Some kind of interference issue?
Why is the problem intermittent for some users?
What is it that Bulb does to fix the issue?

I get that you keep saying this, but I’m afraid still won’t believe it until I actually start hearing about some of these (initially) successful installs from members.

I agree, some proof would be good. I am very sceptical given the similarity of issues people on this forum are experiencing. The IHD problem in particular does not seem to be affecting just one area of the country, so what exactly is the problem?

Some of that ‘valued’ transparency would be appreciated.

Curiouser and curiouser !
Despite gas consumption metered and displayed on IHD fine, Bulb bills me based on “Estimated” for gas,
but “Smart” for electricity which IHD isn’t showing even…

Same for me! I keep getting conflicting responses from Bulb.

I had my smart meters installed way back in February, I never received an IHD at the time (and still don’t have one). I got told two different stories for this by the engineer. My account consists of estimated readings and no way of sending actual readings via the app. I, like everyone else who have been in touch with Bulb on numerous occasions about this, each time getting conflicting answers to what’s going on. If it wasn’t for Bulb being so cheap I would have moved supplier by now. I have seen a video on YouTube where someone has a working SMETS2 meter with a different supplier, so I do wonder if it is just a problem Bulb has - and their ambiguity about the situation is because they don’t want to admit it’s their problem and loose customers!

A Comedy(not) of errors
Smets2 appears to have been a Half A***d project from the start with multiple mistakes, errors and omissions by multiple groups involved.

Most of these problems are not the fault of BULB.

The delays in producing working Smets2 equipment( I say that with tongue firmly in cheek).

The delay of DCC becoming a functioning entity

The poor signal connectivity in the north region - Arqiva thoroughly tested there transmitters ability to reach over 99% of homes but very little if any testing was done to see if EDMIs Comms unit could with their lower power output send a signal which could reach the Arqiva receivers. Possibly computer modelling and assumptions filling the gap.

Gas meters requiring 868mhz HAN comms, due to distance from electricity meter - delayed supply.

A lack of trained installers.

Political pressure and financial penalties to meet the 2020 deadline, made worse by all of the above.

None of the above issues are any fault of BULB.

Where BULB must accept blame and do much better in future, is communication.

The IHD appears to be an issue with several suppliers using the Chameleon unit but mainly with poor connectivity and wildly erratic pricing. The Gas Only Club would seem to be a BULB only phenomenon which may suggest a meter issue and not the IHD, but is any member affected by this problem aware of the cause, solution or time scale to resolve it.

That many members, with IHD problems or not, do not know whether their data is being received or not. Only finding out that there is an issue when they are asked for meter readings (with no easy way to provide them) or they get an estimated bill.

The replies to questions repeatedly asked on these issues are mostly vague and general without actually providing any really useful information.

That your billing system is still not able to process the DCC data, even though DCC has been up and running for 18 months, you have been preparing to install Smet2 meters since early 2018 and have been doing so for over 3 months, is almost unbelievable.

That your Installation company is still unable to install gas meters into semi submerged gas boxes which are by no means rare and also a sign of poor communications and planning, it’s not like you’ve been rushed into installing them.

An email, when an installation is booked, with a detailed summary of the process including data processing time scale would be a useful stating point. Another to confirm meter data is being received would also help.

A clear answer to problem queries with the cause, cure and time scale, even if that means blaming one of your suppliers for faulty equipment or poor firmware or taking the blame for your own failures would go some way to calming the members anxiety.

We can only hope you can up your game and correct the direction your image is taking.

Well said Somerpark!