Smart Meter not working after power cut

Hi. We have had a Smart Meter for electricity for a few weeks now and it seemed to work fine. 2 nights ago we had a power cut and now it reads “connection lost” permanently. I have checked it’s connected to my wifi, and it is good. I am assuming it is not connected to the electricity meter. I have searched/tried possible solutiuons on-line to no avail. It does not seem to retrieve data when I select history. Also the Smart Things app show’s nothing since the power cut. Any ideas out there?

Hi @stephen.codling, welcome to community :wave:

I am really sorry to hear about the issues with your In Home Display (IHD) following the power cut.

We’re unable to talk to your meters right now due to a connection issue with the Communications Hub (comms hub) which sits on top of your electricity meter. This hub is the part of your meter setup that sends readings to Bulb and to your in-home display. This is the cause of the issues with your in-home display (IHD).

We’ve requested for your comms hub to be remotely rebooted, which usually helps re-establish the connection. The reboot will be complete in 2-3 weeks.

Your smart meters and IHD should go back to normal after the reboot completes. If you don’t see any improvement after this time, please reply to the email that my colleague sent last night or get back to us via community if you prefer.

In the meantime, please send us manual readings to make sure your statements are accurate. If you’re not sure how to read your smart meter, please follow our guide.

I’m sorry about this Stephen, hopefully we can get this sorted promptly for you. Any questions, do let us know.

Many thanks,

Niamh :bulb:

@stephen.codling I should have said as well - your SmartThings app won’t work whilst the comms hub has lost its connection. Once everything is back up and running, you should be able to use SmartThings as well.

Thanks for the update. I figured that would be the problem as there are several lights flashing! 2-3 weeks? Really? Is this likely to happen every time we have a power cut? What it needs is a big red RESET button - such a shame old tech is dying out… I remember the old days… before the internet… zzzzz…

@stephen.codling Hopefully not every time. The smart network is run by the DCC who’s a third party, which is why it takes us some time to raise the reboots with them and get a response. This is something that affects the industry as a whole but we are working with them to ensure we can work on as many fixes for smart issues that come up. :crossed_fingers: If the reboot is successful the meters should start sending us those readings over automatically again
:relaxed:

I understand. Many thanks. Steve.

1 Like