'Smart' meter readings way off

Hello,

Recently joined Bulb for the green credentials and lower prices. Previously was with E.on and had a smart meter installed before switching.

My first gas reading as 17kw and a month later it’s now saying 464kw… This is clearly wrong and when I went to submit it to bulb, even they suggested something was amiss.

What can I do? I have no other way of checking meter as E.on removed the old meter when they fitted the smart one, but it’s clearly gone wrong somewhere this month…

Hi there @Lausta

Once you switched over to us, your smart meter will have turned into a normal meter you can take readings from. For now, this handy guide should show you how to get readings out of your meter: http://support.bulb.co.uk/customer/portal/articles/2805466-how-do-i-read-my-meter- That smart meter (the physical one, plugged into the wall) will probably be in the same place as your old fashioned meter used to be

The little portable screen which comes with the smart meter will also have stopped working once we took supply, so you’ll have to go to the meter itself (probably in a cupboard or under the stairs or something) and follow the instructions to get readings out of it. There may still be numbers showing on the screen, but they won’t be very reliable I’m afraid. For one thing, we have no way of telling it what your tariff is with us. If you were taking readings from that screen, that’s probably what caused the problem.

The section on smart meters is about half way down. If you have any problems, please let me know.

The second generation meters, which will fix all of the above problems, are due to be rolled out to any Bulb member who wants one later this year and early next year, if you’re interested. They will be able to switch supplier, and keep on working without a problem.

All the best,
David