Smart meter report frequency

I’ve just signed up to have a smart meter installed (and now a bit concerned having read some of the posts here) and wondered about the reading frequency. The selection was monthly, daily, or hourly (maybe half-hour - can’t remember now).
I selected daily, but can anyone offer any insight into what’s better?
Also, the main reason for the switch was to benefit, in due course, from cheaper overnight EV charging. Is this available from Bulb or am I likely to have to look elsewhere?
John

I selected daily, but can anyone offer any insight into what's better?

There’s a technical reason that means daily or faster is more likely to result in remote readings actually working at all.

Other than that, it’s entirely a matter of your personal attitude to privacy concerns.

Also, the main reason for the switch was to benefit, in due course, from cheaper overnight EV charging. Is this available from Bulb or am I likely to have to look elsewhere?

I’ve got to ask … if the main reason for the switch was access to multi-rate tariffs, surely you checked this with Bulb before arranging the installation?

Anecdotally from posts on here, both dual-rate “Economy 7” is available, as well as the trial of the 3-rate “smart tariff”. But Bulb have never actually confirmed this. The official line is that only single-rate is currently available via Bulb SMETS2 meters.

Thanks for the info.
Regarding the tariff availability, I contacted Bulb at the same time as booking the installation. I can always cancel the installation if it’s a waste of time. Still waiting to hear from Bulb. That said, if I shifted to another supplier, I’d still need the smart meter.

That said, if I shifted to another supplier, I'd still need the smart meter.

That’s true, but if you wanted say, Octopus Go, as far as I know they still only offer it with their own smart meters, and not SMETS2 meters fitted by another supplier. If you want a multi-rate tariff that’s already available, I’d think it would be be to get the smart meter fitted by that supplier. It’s going to be years before switching supplier is a seamless as designed.

Interestingly, when I logged in to my account dashboard earlier I now have a notification inviting me to join Bulb’s 3-rate tariff ‘beta’.
I’ll do a bit more digging and see what the future options are. I have a bit of time before the installation date anyway.
Thanks again for responding.

That said, if I shifted to another supplier, I'd still need the smart meter.

That’s true, but if you wanted say, Octopus Go, as far as I know they still only offer it with their own smart meters, and not SMETS2 meters fitted by another supplier. If you want a multi-rate tariff that’s already available, I’d think it would be be to get the smart meter fitted by that supplier. It’s going to be years before switching supplier is a seamless as designed.

There are people with SMETS2 meters on Octopus GO. I believe they only fit SMETS2 in areas they know they work (South), if you wanted GO and lived ‘up north’ you’d possibly still get a SMETS1 meter fitted by them.

There are people with SMETS2 meters on Octopus GO. I believe they only fit SMETS2 in areas they know they work (South), if you wanted GO and lived 'up north' you'd possibly still get a SMETS1 meter fitted by them.

Interesting. I looked earlier and their website still says if you’ve got a smart meter from another supplier, it’ll have to be one of their usual “Secure” brand otherwise it wont work. No mention of SMETS2. I guess their documentation is about as up to date as Bulb’s.

Has anyone else had absolutely atrocious customer service? My emails go unanswered for days at a time. I am complaining about an end of tenancy bill of nearly £1,000, which I’ve received following their recommendation that I lower my monthly payments from £124pcm to about £42!!! I’m shocked and appalled by Bulb in every way possible, anyone ad a similar experience and how do you get them to respond to you?