Smart Meter Roll out what's happening ?

Hi
I’m new to Bulb and was interested in a smart meter. I see that you were asked on 4th February 2017 about when this would be getting rolled and and the reply from james was late 2017. I’m looking for an update on this as i see members are still asking to go on the trial and your saying yes. As we are nearing the end of 2017 and looks like no trial has started and roll out is due to be 2018 can you give a new update as to when the smart meter trial will actually start and a rough date in 2018 when it will be rolled out.

Thanks
Mark

@mark_ayr_61, based on those dates, things may have slipped. It appears that has been an industry wide thing though as none of the other suppliers are doing much better.

No suppliers are yet rolling out SMETS2 meters to the masses, with all of them looking at early to mid 2018 so far.
Trials have started with a few companies but it’s still very early days.

The latest on the Bulb rollout has been mid 2018 onwards for mass rollout with the trials starting early 2018. Hopefully not too much longer to wait!

Hi, @mark_ayr_61 and @mowcius. We aren’t offering smart meters just yet but will be rolling out smart meters to our members from mid-2018. This is because currently only first-generation smart meters are being installed in the UK right now. If we installed one of these on your wall and you changed energy supplier you wouldn’t always be able to use the smart meter’s functionalities. We think it’d be a bit unfair to do that to our members, so we will begin installing second-generation meters as soon as we can get them and they will be able to communicate with any supplier. Sorry about the confusion with the dates, we want to make sure that when we commence the rollout that we do it right! In the meantime, I would be happy to add you both to the smart meter trial which will commence in early 2018.