Smart meter switch

I have recently had a smart meter installed by Bulb. Even though I can see what I am spending am I now on a higher tariff? I had spent 11p by 7.30am this morning and I only woke up at 7?
Any help appreciated.

Morning Sarah
Are you saying you haven’t used any energy but have watched your meter go up by 11p ? I’m thinking of getting a smart meter, and was told they use alot of energy to run, if it’s 11 pence per half hour, then that’s over £5 a day just to run the meter ? I may be wrong, let me know
Thanks Steve

I didnt even think about the meter being the cost. I came downstairs and other than the usual things on standby (tv and router) nothing had been used. Yet I had already spent 11p. I am hoping Bulb will answer this.

The meter costs you nothing to run. The small amount of power required in taken from the supply before the measurement of your usage . This is true for all meters old and new. Your usage starts at midnight so fridges, freezers WiFi routers etc all use power. 11p is less than 1kwh of power so is probably about right

Thank you that good to know. I guess it’s the inconsistency as the two previous mornings it was at 2p when I came down. But that could be the way it sends the data I guess.

The meter costs you nothing to run. The small amount of power required in taken from the supply before the measurement of your usage . This is true for all meters old and new. Your usage starts at midnight so fridges, freezers WiFi routers etc all use power. 11p is less than 1kwh of power so is probably about right

I find it hard to understand how the @Sarah_D88 expects the meter to somehow know when she got up, and display usage only since then? As you say the day runs midnight to midnight so by 7am it’s already logged 7 hours of fridge, freezer, etc. while you sleep.

Not to mention the fact that the daily standing charge is added every day at midnight, meaning the minimum cost anyone should see for any given day is 41p at the rollover of midnight (20.44p * 2 if both electric and gas). Getting up in the morning to find the IHD already showing 50+ pence of usage is not uncommon. For anyone that is only just realising this, then the smart meter programme is doing its job in raising awareness of how much energy costs.

I’m pretty certain the cost of running the meter itself is taken after the metering point, meaning that the customer does indeed pay for running the meter. But this is the same for all meters and a smart meter will make no practical difference to the cost, even with the addition of running the IHD (which by definition of being plugged in is obviously a customer cost).

Are you saying you haven't used any energy

Nobody is ever in the position of not using any energy unless they switch absolutely everything off, preferably via the main switch at the consumer unit to ensure everything really is off. There’s always something consuming energy, assuming you live in a typical modern house with fridge, freezer, boiler, etc.

I'm thinking of getting a smart meter, and was told they use alot of energy to run

They don’t cost a lot of energy to run. Who told you this?

, if it's 11 pence per half hour, then that's over £5 a day just to run the meter ? I may be wrong, let me know

Oh, come on, this is just getting silly now.

Applying just a modicum of critical thinking to your figures would tell you that £1927.20 per year just to run the meter is not right.

I dont expect the meter to know when I got up? Where did i say that? And I later explained that 2 previous mornings the meter was reading 2p. Like I stated the inconsistency was concerning me.
Although your message has good information it is also dripping in sarcasm and smugness. Hopefully you now feel better about yourself by belittling others and their concerns. Wang!!

I’m pretty certain the cost of running the meter itself is taken after the metering point, meaning that the customer does indeed pay for running the meter.

you can find a couple of smart meter teardowns online which although they are SMETS1 clearly show that the power supplied to operate the meter is taken from the power input side before voltage and current sensing/measuring is done. This makes sense as these meters have a remote disconnect/reconnect facility as do Smets2 meters. It would be difficult to remotely reconnect if the circuitry has no power!

I dont expect the meter to know when I got up? Where did i say that?

It is implied by the phrase “I had spent 11p by 7.30am this morning and I only woke up at 7?”. The fact that you “only woke up at 7” is irrelevant given that each day starts at midnight. Do you think your house uses no power at all just because you’re asleep? It’s true I’m assuming that you have the standard white goods left running 24/7, but perhaps you do not.

And I later explained that 2 previous mornings the meter was reading 2p. Like I stated the inconsistency was concerning me.

This is what’s known as a “cross post”. You’ll notice that my reply was posted 4 minutes after the one where you referenced 2p the previous morning. Whilst I type quickly, it did take longer than 4 minutes. Your post wasn’t there when I started replying, hence I did not have chance to include that information within my reply.

Although your message has good information it is also dripping in sarcasm and smugness. Hopefully you now feel better about yourself by belittling others and their concerns.

You obviously have a low tolerance for “sarcasm and smugness”, of which as far as I’m concerned there was none. As for “belittling others” I simply don’t know where to start with that accusation.

Wang!!

Charming. As least I don’t resort to what I believe is supposed to be a personal insult?

I’ll leave you to your concerns. Good day.

Your tone is unhelpful and judgemental. ’ this is getting ridiculous now’ implies your low tolerance for others and their queries. Although your comments were helpful your tone was not. I retract wang comment as it did not make me feel better! I hope your smart comments make you happy!

For the other helpful posts I appreciate the response.

I find it inconsistent at the moment and will have to keep on eye in it for a few weeks and see what it does. I did find the whole installation process extremely stress free, quick and easy. Hopefully the rest of it is like that.