Smart Meter Technical Specs?

IIRC part of the SMETS2 requirement is that Suppliers allow customers to join devices to the smart meter HAN on request, such as Zigbee energy monitors (which will presumably become very prevalent in the smart home industry as SMETS2 rolls out)

Will you be allowing this, and if so when? Right now I’m using a Loop clamp and can’t monitor our gas usage so I’d rather like to get a proper real-time feed into my smart home system

IIRC part of the SMETS2 requirement is that Suppliers allow customers to join devices to the smart meter HAN on request, such as Zigbee energy monitors (which will presumably become very prevalent in the smart home industry as SMETS2 rolls out)

Will you be allowing this, and if so when? Right now I’m using a Loop clamp and can’t monitor our gas usage so I’d rather like to get a proper real-time feed into my smart home system

This has been asked several times and we’ve failed to get an answer so far, so don’t hold your breath.

I’ve also been struggling to find a CAD that is accessible over the local network and doesn’t force access to cloud services. Do you have any suggestions on that front? I’d like to obtain my gas usage as well.

@BenWoodford, approved devices only.

Firstly, it needs to be on the CPL, then you’d go and ask Bulb.
(https://smartenergycodecompany.co.uk/download/4054/)

If it’s an approved device, there’s little chance they’re allowed to say no but it might still take them a while.

Basically from that list, the Chameleon devices appear to be the only approved CADs out there right now.

Following on from my above post, I’m not sure that all IHDs or CADs need to be on the CPL.

From the CPL submission guidance:

1.3 What Device Types must be on the CPL? Device Models of the following Physical Device Types must be listed on the CPL: • Communications Hubs • Single Element Electricity Metering Equipment • Twin Element Electricity Metering Equipment • Polyphase Electricity Metering Equipment • Gas Smart Meter • Pre-Payment Interface Device • HAN Connected Auxiliary Load Control Switch

The IHD devices that Bulb are installing can also function as PPMIDs (Pre-Payment Interface Devices) but Chameleon (and others) manufacture a number of IHDs and CADs that do not have that functionality.

This is the meter Bulb installed for me in Scotland this week.