Smart Meter Updates?

My smart meter seems to be finally sending updates to Bulb; at least I see daily graphs and costs in the app and on the website. However, there’s only been one ‘smart’ update in the meter readings list (and that was on the 15th March). I have the update interval set to 30 mins and the graphs do seem to reflect this. Is it normal to not see the updates in the meter readings?

Additionally, even though I have Smartthings paired with my IHD6 and the Bulb app shows as connected, I have never seen any realtime data in that app. Could this be related to the lack of meter reading updates?

Hi @dry :wave:

If you’ve selected half hourly reads we use these to update your energy use graph but these won’t load every half hour as reads in the Bulb Account, this is because we can just load the ones either side of your bills to ensure we bill to the right meter reads. The half-hourly reads come through in a bit of a different format so we don’t upload all this outside of the chart.

You should be able to see real time use in the SmartThings app- if we only started receiving SMRs from you recently or had to update the account with some details about the smart meter it might take a bit of time to load up enough data.

We had a Q&A with Samsung a few days ago here so there might be a bit more info about the app there!

HI @holly_at_bulb,

The meter readings info makes sense so thanks for clearing that up.

WRT Smartthings, I’ve read that thread but don’t see any information that might be pertinent to my situation. Can you clarify what “a bit of time” means please? There have been SMRs for a week. Is that not enough time for it to be made available to Smartthings?

Possibly related to the above; why does my IHD show “Waiting for MPAN” in the Meter Info screen?

Hey @dry

Has the IHD ever shown the correct data?

Does it show the correct time and date on the device? From our side it looks to be commissioned and should be working properly. If it isn’t can you try this fix ? If this doesn’t work, please try following the steps in your Bulb account again on a different date (the fix sometimes works the second time). If it’s still not working after 2 attempts, let us know.

If there are still issues with the Smartthings App I would recommend querying this with Samsung as well as they’d have more insight!

– H :bulb:

Hi @holly_at_bulb,

My IHD does show the correct data - it always has. The issue is with the error message that is displayed in the Meter Info section of the IHD. I emailed Chameleon about this and they said that this means that the IHD has not in fact been commissioned properly. I have tried that IHD reset several times but it has not fixed this issue.

Hey @dry

Hmm that is odd, we definitely have it listed as commissioned and if it’s showing the correct data that usually means its commissioned as well.

Did you also try the hard reset?

Method 1

Hold the reset button for 15s. This gives the IHD a hard reset

Method 2

• Unplug the IHD and let it run completely out of power
  • Restart the IHD using the button at the back, making sure it is still unplugged
  • The emergency power reserve will need to drain also, so let this happen
  • Try to restart the IHD again. If it turns on, it still has power that needs to drain so let it run down
  • Once the IHD cannot turn on any more, recharge it and turn it on
  • The IHD should now work

Let me know!

Hi @holly_at_bulb,

Yep, I’ve tried both those methods multiple times and the “Waiting for MPAN” message is still there in the Meter Info screen. I’m not sure what further detail I can add to illuminate this. I assume that you (Bulb) always expect the MPAN to be reflected in the Meter Info screen of the Chameleon IHD6?

As per the title. At least, the IHD appears to be working. Anyone have any idea why I see no data in Smartthings? I must say, it’s getting quite wearing not being able to get any kind of response from anyone at Bulb so apologies to community users for my repeated posts. I’m seriously contemplating moving to another provider but I’m concerned that if the IHD isn’t doing what it’s supposed to be doing then I’ll be stuck with some part of my installation that isn’t working properly and then can’t be fixed.

So, how is this supposed to work?

IHD → Chameleon → Samsung (Smartthings)

or

IHD → Samsung

or

IHD → Bulb → Samsung

or

some other process I haven’t considered?

I’ve tried Wiresharking my wifi to see if there is any indication in there but I see no traffic either to or from the IHD.

Sorry to bump this but can anybody at Bulb shed light on why this isn’t working please?

As I’ve repeatedly mentioned, my IHD is reporting that it is “Waiting for MPAN…”. Why is this and is this related to this issue?

And separately, how long does it take after a smart installation to update the national database with that fact?

Sigh. Bump.

[extra chars to make at least 20 for a post]

Hello Bulb. Is anybody home? Can you please answer my questions.

Hey @dry Keep at it and you might get some responses. I have no luck with smatthings either and cant help but I’m just here making noise to grab attention with someone who might be able to. Maybe @GeorgieS_at_Bulb can help get this query to someone…

Hello @dry,

Thank you for getting in touch via the community and I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The good news is that we can see that your IHD is connected to the smart network, it just needs a little push to fully connect to your meters. Please could you follow this link and fill in the details of the issue?

Once you’ve sent that in we’ll try and fix your IHD overnight, so it should start working within 24 hours.

Make sure you keep your IHD turned on and within 5m of your electricity meter overnight and restart it in the morning if nothing has changed.

If this doesn’t work, please try following the steps in your Bulb account again on a different date (the fix sometimes works the second time). If it’s still not working after 2 attempts, let us know.

Please also make sure you keep your IHD connected to Wi-Fi to receive the firmware upgrades as they get released by the manufacturer. You can find the instructions here, along with a video guide )

It takes 2-5 days for the national database to be updated. I can confirm your meter shows as being smart on the national database.

I have raised your smart-things issue with the team directly, and I will notify you as soon as I have had an update.

Many thanks for your patience,
Nathan

Hello @Stephie,

Thank you for your Community post :wave:

Could you please share some more details into your smart-things issues and I can look into them for you?

Many thanks
Nathan

Hi @Nathan_at_Bulb,

Thank you for your response. FYI I have run that reset at least twice in the last couple of months but have done so again as requested.

Hi @Nathan_at_Bulb

Unfortunately there might a documentation/processing error on your side. I’ve just asked another supplier to check my smart meter status and they say that the national database does not show my meter as smart but as my original Economy 7 meter. Can you please check and confirm that it has been updated properly?

Hi @dry,

Sorry to hear that hasn’t worked still. From our side everything looks commissioned so these fixes should be the ones to trigger it :thinking:

I’ve sent you an email and raised this with our smart team to get some further insight into how we can get this fixed for you! :brain:

I’ve also merged your other thread into this one as it covers the same topics as here.