Smart Meter Upgrade Cost

I have a smart meter 1 and wanted Bulb to install a smart meter that worked (the old one was a SMET1 which only worked with the original supplier) I’ve been told to upgrade Bulb will charge ~£172 to have a new(SMET2) one installed, so that’s nearly £400 to have gas/electric meters changed , simply to monitor energy usage and try and save money due to the cost of living/energy crisis…so my only option appears to be to leave Bulb and move to another supplier who’ll fit the new meters for free? Seems utterly ridiculous…

Hello @DForce,

Thank you for posting, welcome to community :wave:t4:

Originally with the first generation smart meters ( SMETS1) only the energy company who had installed this could retrieve your meter readings. As we update the details throughout the years we were eventually able to enroll your meter to the DCC network. So this means upgrading, improving security and saving the industry many millions of pounds a year.

The government has put in place a programme to move first-generation meters onto this new dcc network, giving old meters the same benefits as new meters.

Currently we are working through this so we should be able to connect to your meter soon which will upgrade your smets 1 meter to smets2.

In the meantime please do provide meter readings monthly so that we are billing you correctly. The more readings we receive the more accurate your bills are.

All the best

Suki :hibiscus:

Same here and I install smart meters for bulb