Smart Meter Usage API

Hi,

If I were to switch to Bulb and get them to install a smart meter, is there an API or similar I can use to access my historic usage data?

Thanks

2 Likes

Unfortunately not, they were planning on developing one, but that seems to have been forgotten about. There are other supplies who do have a public API for users with a SMETS2 smart meter.

1 Like

If you want a great smart meter experience - look elsewhere.

I had SMETS2 meters installed last year and still no smart gas readings. There is no easy way to get even daily kWh usage data, never mind more frequent data. Lots of promises though and suggestions to use 3rd parties like Samsung.

1 Like

Hi @cyberjacob,

We’re glad to hear you’re considering us as a supplier. :bulb:

We ran a Q&A with Chris from our smart data team last week who said this regarding a future API:

Hi @Chloe_at_Bulb,

Thanks for the update, do you know if your smart meters still have the little red light that flashes for every Wh used?

Also, are you still going ahead with smart meter upgrades at the moment or have they all been postponed?

Hi @cyberjacob,

I am unsure if a red light flashes for every kWh of electricity used, but I will find out for you. Are you referring to a red light on the meter itself or on the IHD?

We have paused all non-emergency meter jobs at the moment due to COVID-19. We will be carrying these on as normal as soon as we can. This unfortunately means we cannot take any bookings at present.

Thanks,
Sam

Hi @SamR_at_Bulb,

The light would be on the meter, not the IHD. Note that the flashes are once per Wh, not kWh. They’re often labelled as “1000 imp / kWh” or similar.

Thanks

Hi @cyberjacob,

Our SMETS2 meters have a red light which pulses once every 1/1000 of a kWh, i.e. for every Watt that passes through the meter.

Thanks - Sam