Smart meter

Can you have a smart meter and top up online or app…

Hi @Zubera

Yes, you can have a smart meter installed by Bulb. I’ve written a smart meter update that will tell you more about the rollout for 2019.

You can’t currently top up on the app but you can update your payment settings by heading to the ‘payments’ section.

If I become a bulb customer can you promise me that you would never force me to have a smart meter? Also can you promise that I would not have to pay more for not having one as is the case with my current provider Eon?

@HeatherLaxton, they can’t legally force you to have one so rest easy if you’re not interested in having one.

You would not pay more on the same tariff but you would miss out on potentially beneficial multi-rate tariffs.

If I become a bulb customer can you promise me that you would never force me to have a smart meter? Also can you promise that I would not have to pay more for not having one as is the case with my current provider Eon?

Just to add to what mowcius said, I don’t think anyone from any supplier can offer you either of those guarantees.

You don’t have to have a smart meter, it’s entirely optional. Bulb will offer you one, but you can say no and/or ignore it. However, there will come a time soon that manufacturers do not make anything other than smart meters and so purely via commercial forces there will be no choice. When you existing meter breaks or otherwise comes to the end of its natural life, there’ll be no old style meters left to install to replace it. At that point you’d have to accept a smart meter, although there’s no reason why you couldn’t have it configured for monthly-only readings. Similarly if you moved house and the new property already had a smart meter, you’d have to fight very hard to have it removed and even then it may not be possible. You’re going to end up with a smart meter one way or another, but there’s no realistic problems with that anyway.

Likewise there’s no guarantee that a smart meter wont be a requirement of the best tariffs. Either simply through suppliers offering better rates to those with smart meters due to the savings of not having to employ so many meter readers, or greater potential savings through the use of multi-rate tariffs.

Right now, with Bulb, no you will not be forced to have a smart meter and you wont pay a higher tariff through not having one. But no one can say for sure how long that will continue.

Thanks, I suppose I know no one can promise what will or won’t happen in the future. I really don’t want a smart meter ever but I just wanted to know that if I changed to Bulb I wouldn’t have one foisted upon me any time soon.

I really don't want a smart meter ever

Why?

Thanks, I suppose I know no one can promise what will or won't happen in the future. I really don't want a smart meter ever but I just wanted to know that if I changed to Bulb I wouldn't have one foisted upon me any time soon.

This is the official Ofgem advice: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/understand-smart-prepayment-and-other-energy-meters/smart-meters-your-rights

Thanks, I suppose I know no one can promise what will or won't happen in the future. I really don't want a smart meter ever but I just wanted to know that if I changed to Bulb I wouldn't have one foisted upon me any time soon.

It’ll be a long time until smart meters are compulsory. In some circumstances I can see them being helpful for some people, but for me i’m happy with my analogue meter, which is easy to understand and read.

With regard to tariffs, I can only see it going one way with smart meters, and that is dynamic pricing

It’ll be a long time until smart meters are compulsory.

Agreed. But likely very much sooner to when there aren’t any old style meters to install any more because no one makes them.