Smart meters - am I making a mistake?

I just signed up to have a smart meter installed (schedule date is 25th October). However, I’ve been looking through the community posts and have come away with a bad feeling. I’ve only had a brief look but I see nothing but complaints. I appreciate most people will say nothing if it all goes well but is it really as big a mess as I’ve come away thinking it is?

I have solar panels (with battery) and I can really do with nothing going wrong.
Am I right in assuming Bulb (well Seimens actually) are installing SMETS2 meters now?

I just signed up to have a smart meter installed (schedule date is 25th October). However, I've been looking through the community posts and have come away with a bad feeling. I've only had a brief look but I see nothing but complaints. I appreciate most people will say nothing if it all goes well but is it really as big a mess as I've come away thinking it is?

I have solar panels (with battery) and I can really do with nothing going wrong.
Am I right in assuming Bulb (well Seimens actually) are installing SMETS2 meters now?

Siemens are install SMETS2 meters now however I fear that BULB, (and probably other suppliers, do not have the means to integrate smart meters into their own systems. Based on my own. ongoing bad experience with them, I would strongly advise against having a “smart” meter installed yet. There is obviously a reason why the deadline for getting everyone onto a smart meter has had to be extended.
(All I.M.H.O of course).

Why are they smart? All they are doing is reporting on your energy that you have ‘just’ used - the only way you will save money is by switching something off! And if you don’t know a electric kettle, or doing a hot wash, uses more electric than a LED bulb, for example, well …

I think the industry’s masterplan - with Government support - is to be able to charge us different rates for electricity at different times of the day - eg higher charges at peak, high demand periods. And not so much overnight, etc. Of course, this is passed off as ‘green’. Think that will mean cheaper bills for the consumer? Nope - I’m out!!

10 years from now, I agree that’s likely where we’ll end up. You’ll be charged more for using electricity at peak times. This also means you’ll get your energy cheaper off-peak. If you don’t have a smart meter then your price per kWh will reflect this…

An example of a wholesale tracking/supply & demand half hour tariff is here. If you can avoid the peak hours, you save money.

https://energy-stats.uk/octopus-agile-london/

I’ve also signed up for a smart meter install - which should be happening today if they turn up this time!

I have solar panels that were installed very recently and are therefore not eligible for the feed-in tariff. The only way I’ll be able to sell excess power to the grid is through the new Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) which suppliers must implement by January. I agree that it’s a concern how many issues there have been with the SMETS2 meters, however the only way I can take advantage of the SEG is with one installed.

Why are they smart? All they are doing is reporting on your energy that you have 'just' used - the only way you will save money is by switching something off! And if you don't know a electric kettle, or doing a hot wash, uses more electric than a LED bulb, for example, well ...

I think the industry’s masterplan - with Government support - is to be able to charge us different rates for electricity at different times of the day - eg higher charges at peak, high demand periods. And not so much overnight, etc. Of course, this is passed off as ‘green’. Think that will mean cheaper bills for the consumer? Nope - I’m out!!

Absolutely agree.

I ended up delaying my smartmeter install until December, primarily due to some buildingvwork I’m having done. But also to give me time to investigate it a bit more.

The thing that amuses me is the simplistic marketing message ‘Smart meters will save you money’. That is so untrue, they (hopefully) will give you the information to help you save money , but if you take no action based on that information you’ll save nothing.

Jury still out in my opinion.

I have found knowing the cost of central heating from our smart meter very educational. No idea that the daily cost was so high and this has made me much more careful about when I heat and to what temperature.

I agree that this hasn’t affected my electricity use (other than reassuring me that the energy saving devices I’ve bought don’t draw much power).

2 Likes

Smart meters can save you money by enabling easy remote configuration between single-rate and multi-rate tariffs. For example, I’m currently saving about 2p per kWh by using Bulb’s three-rate smart tariff over what I would be paying on their single-rate tariff. This wouldn’t be possible without a smart meter.

Of course, multi-rate tariffs do still require a change in usage profile to make the most of them and you’re right if you take no action it’ll likely work out more expensive rather than being cheaper.

It’s a bit of both really, smart metering and change of usage. It’s too simplistic to say smart meters don’t save any money at all.

2 Likes

My point was that they can not they will. Just simply installing a smart meter doesn’t. There is decision/action needed, which is perfectly reasonable to expect, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Agreed. They appear to have stopped the “saving money” marketing now anyway and are selling it on “improving the infrastructure”. Both are worthwhile I think, I don’t see why everyone has such a problem with smart meters. If it hadn’t been implemented in such a terrible way there’d be no issues at all - but then that statement goes for the majority of large IT projects.

2 Likes

With Bulb currently saying they don’t predict getting them working properly until 2020 I’d not bother with an install until at least then, if you’re sticking with Bulb.

Bulb ‘smart’ meters don’t affect solar - they left my generation meter alone (so you’ll still have to do manual readings for FIT even if the meters eventually work).

I haven’t worked out what they do with reverse (export) energy though… need to watch it to make sure it doesn’t start charging for export, as that’s a known issue with some models. Hopefully by the weekend I’ll have enough numbers (it’s winter, not much solar…).

Where did Bulb say the smart meters be trouble free until 2020?! Eek!

An email sent on Monday… based on the responses here I wasn’t the only one to get it. Actually reading it they don’t say they’ll have a fix in early 2020, only an update, which may be simply another email…

"Smart meters use a nationwide communication network to send your readings to Bulb, but the signal at your home isn’t strong enough to communicate with us.

We know this is frustrating, and we’re working on a solution. We may be able to fix this remotely. If not, we’ll get in touch to book a new appointment with an engineer once we have a fix. We hope to update you in early 2020.

If the engineer installed an In-Home Display, it won’t show any information yet. If the engineer didn’t install one, we’ll make sure you get one when your smart meters are up and running."

That message may be to do with the northern comms hub provider updating their network or possibly with “noisy” meters which reduce the signal strength of the comms hub meaning messages can’t be sent to the DCC.

So… why bother installing them at all if they’re not going to work until 2020 at the earliest? It’s going to take another engineer visit to fix them so that’s just a waste of everyone’s time and money.

1 Like

Bulb are a complete east of space im switching back to some other reliable supplier these cowboys need hanging all they do is ignor any contact ounce you sign up with them they should be reported to trading standards

Just want to put this warning out to you people contemplating a so called "Smart Meter" if saving a few quid is more important than good health be aware of the known dangers of these cancer causing devices.                                                                         
         They emit radiation EMF that causes numerous health concerns from severe itching to lack of energy to cancer, you will also suffer from a poor nights sleep as they communicate with other meters .                                                                                                                     
         We had one fitted several years ago removed after my wife reacted severely with skin issues and when we researched known side effects(scary) once removed her severe itching ceased after two days after a year of misery, our neighbor  has the same problem but thinks the Government would not fit dangerous meters in our homes!!                                                                                                                           
         Our overall health improved as soon as the meter was removed Scottish Power before removal after threatening them with legal action wanted to fit a Faraday cage to stop radiation!!  I rest my case.                                                                                                                                               
       Please do your own research,health is more important than any so called savings made.
2 Likes

@kfinternetmarketing Jesus, I did not know that. Thanks for the information. I can’t believe ofgem allowed millions of devices producing ionizing radiation to be installed in our homes :open_mouth:. I’ve taken the precaution to isolate my smart meter in a Faraday cage, I’ve thrown my microwave out and sold all our mobile phones. Oh damn I forgot I wear wireless 2.4Ghz headphones most of the day working. :nauseated_face::woozy_face::face_with_thermometer:

2 Likes

As long as you can carry out basic subtraction and division and know how to read a meter what benefit are these infernal devices?