Smart meters and readings

I am just switching to bulb from britidh gas and have smart meters and an in home meter display. I am assuming this all still works eith bulb and i dont need to manually submit readings?

It doesn’t work.
You will need to submit readings.
British Gas may even turn off your in home meter display.

@Ohaywood75 @phproxy is right. For now, you’ll need to read the meter and submit the readings in our online portal.

Ofgem has plans to make first-generation smart meters (like the one you have installed) compatible with the central system (which allows them to communicate with all suppliers, rather than just the supplier who installed it), but this functionality won’t be available until later in 2018.

do you know when you will install second generation smart meters as I currently have a smart meter from my previous company that you cannot read

Hi @TRACE

We aren’t offering smart meters just yet but will be rolling out smart meters to our members from late-2018. This is because currently only first-generation smart meters are being installed in the UK right now.

We will begin installing second-generation meters as soon as we can get them and they will be able to communicate with any supplier.

Are you still doing the smart meter trials? Thanks.

before I joined I asked if I could keep using my smart meters and I was told I could

I feel somewhat annoyed, I asked before I left First utilities if I would be able to continue to use my new smart meters as I liked to see what I am using and now you are saying “we are rolling out later this year” that is 100% not what I was told I was assured I could keep on using my new meters. Why was I lied to

@CharlieB
There’s no reason why the “in home display” should stop working.

My parents switched from first utility to bulb. The in home display still works.

You will have to manually enter meter readings for now though.

@CharlieB

Hi there, sorry for any confusion. I’ve just read your conversation with my colleague. If we’re on the same email here we let you know that we can still supply a smart meter but not with 'smart functionality.

We aren’t offering full smart meters just yet but will be rolling out smart meters to our members from late-2018. This is because currently only first-generation smart meters are being installed in the UK right now. If we installed one of these on your wall and you changed energy supplier you wouldn’t always be able to use the smart meter’s functionalities. This is what has happened with your meter from first utility.

We think it’d be a bit unfair to do that to our members, so we will begin installing second-generation meters as soon as we can get them and they will be able to communicate with any supplier. I totally understand your frustration at these, we really want smart meters as soon as possible too!

Long term though this should be a good thing.

That said we dont have exit fees or long contracts so if this is a deal breaker feel free to let me know.

Best,

Rory