Smart Meters and WiFi

Have received your invitation to have Smart meters installed an I’m happy to proceed if you can answer this question: Do the meters require a strong wifi signal?
I ask because my previous energy company could not install them as my meters are in my cellar and they said the wifi signal was not strong enough. This was a couple of years ago and I wonder if things are the same with this requirement?

Do the meters require a strong wifi signal?

They don’t use WiFi, that’s the thing used for your laptops and tablets and is from an access point from your home internet broadband.

Smart meters use mobile data, the type of data connection for your mobile phone. In the north of the UK it uses a different long range radio system. Either way, yes, it does require a strong radio signal and meters in the cellar might cause problems.

Thanks for the info Hooloovoo, my misunderstanding, I thought the guy that tried to install the last one said wifi. Mobile data makes a lot more sense, but I fear the physical barrier problem is the same.

Thanks for the info Hooloovoo, my misunderstanding, I thought the guy that tried to install the last one said wifi. Mobile data makes a lot more sense, but I fear the physical barrier problem is the same.

Yes, WiFi wouldn’t work because then there would be a requirement for the property to have a network connection available. Smart meters are stand-alone and don’t require the property owner to provide connectivity.

Yes, as with any radio-based communication the physical location and number/type of walls etc will be a problem. Do you get a mobile signal at all in your cellar, on any network?

The mobile signal is weak in my cellar, but can be used. Apparently the Smart meters require a strong signal.