Smart meters not sending any readings for more than a year now

Well, Bulb, we’re about 18 months into no readings from my smart meters, and none of my calls, emails or messages so far have managed to get you to fix the problem. It’s just estimate after estimate, and every bill is guesswork. My more recent emails have gone entirely unanswered.

I seem to be in significant credit so I will be asking for a refund, and I’m considering cancelling my direct debit until you get it sorted. I’ve had enough, frankly, and I can’t tell you how disappointed I am with the lack of action on your part. All I want is for you to collect the readings from my smart meter. Surely, a year and a half is enough to sort that out?

I know smart meters are supposed to take the pain away, but in the interim why don’t you send actual meter readings on a monthly basis versus having bills done on estimate?

1 Like

I could do that. But that’s not really the point; I have a smart meter, it should be working, and I’ve had nothing in the way of any solid information about what the problem is or when it will be fixed. It’s surely not an impossible task to get it working, or provide a solid reason why it isn’t working and a date for when it will be fixed.

Hey @inversions :wave:

I’ve taken a look at your account and it looks like your meters have fallen off the smart network so we’ve been receiving no reads. This is due to a connection issue with the Communications Hub (comms hub) which sits on top of your electricity meter. This hub is the part of your meter setup that sends readings to Bulb and to your in-home display.

We’ve requested for your comms hub to be remotely rebooted, which usually helps re-establish the connection.

If you live in or South of Manchester, the reboot will be complete in 2-3 weeks. If you’re North of Manchester, it will be six weeks. From there we’ll be able to try and reconnect to it and pull through reads.

I would agree with @Phytone3d and encourage you to submit manual readings in the meantime to avoid any shock bills which I can see you’ve now done for today :relaxed:

I know it’s not the point, but in the near term it addresses

I share your pain, been there, and ultimately diagnosed the problem on my smart meter failings for Bulb. If it hasnt worked from installation, Just check the meter number on your bills is the same as that on the smart meters. I had countless comms reboots, but that wasn’t the problem, the engineer put in the wrong meter number.

Thanks for requesting the reboot Holly. I also spoke to Alex S on the phone today who explained a bit more. It doesn’t sound like a reboot will help this one (I’ve had a couple in the past to now effect), but it’s worth a try, so thanks for doing that.

I have sympathy. I have also been suffering the communications hub issue since the meter was installed. I was told that there would be a solution but with no time frame. I was asked to let the meter continually reboot until the third party responsible for the comms component fixed this. Several months of reboots later and I turned the meter off. I have had an ongoing dialogue with one of the Bulb staff who has tried hard to be helpful but can only give the message that there is no known fix at this time. I check every few weeks but n change. I’ve also had several reboots but it isn’t really a solution.

I don’t anticipate this ever being fixed to be honest. My contract is with Bulb - please don’t pass responsibility back to a different third party!

1 Like

Hi @Richreader,

Welcome to Bulb’s community!

I’m really sorry to hear that the reboot attempts haven’t been successful and we do really appreciate that this isn’t ideal and is taking a long time to get resolved. Unfortunately, as the reboots are conducted by the DCC, the third party you refer to, we are still waiting for a fix if the reboot is unsuccessful as the issue itself is not something we can resolve.

We’ll be in touch as soon as this is something we’re able to fix and we’ll automatically roll any fix onto your smart meter once available.

Thanks,
Freya