SMART METERS.. Please Help!

I am currently with British Gas. Looking at switching to Bulb as I’ve heard so many good things and lets face it I’m not on the cheapest rates at the minute :confused:

My only problem is, I’ve looked into switching and I am currently on Pre-Payment meters with a Smart Meter. When I look into switching it tells me I can’t because I have a smart meter.
Is there anyway to get around this? Or am I going to have to look else where :frowning:

You can switch to bulb but you would have go via direct debit, to do this just put down that you have ordinary meters and pay monthly by DD. That’s what I did, should work
If you want to pay by that method, it is cheaper if you want to stay prepay Utilita can read pp smart meters

1 Like

Hi @sophie.elizabeth-94,

Thanks for getting in touch. We really wish we could have you with Bulb now. We used to take over smart prepayment meters as there is a way for suppliers to reconfigure these meters into credit mode ready for us to accommodate. Unfortunately, we were finding in about 10% of cases this didn’t go as smoothly as we hoped. This resulted in members ending up with no gas or electric and us sending out emergency engineers to replace the meters.

We have a waiting list you can join for smart prepay at Bulb, once we work out a more reliable way to ensure the meters are reconfigured we will be signing people up again. You can join the waiting list here https://bulb.co.uk/smart-prepay/

1 Like

Finally, a good decision by Bulb that puts customers first. Bulb should have stopped taking smart prepayment customers a long time ago. Hopefully this is a sign of an end to the “grow the company at any cost” attitude that seems to have pervaded Bulb at the expense of customer satisfaction.

2 Likes

If only they could make a good decision about their gas price that “puts customers first”
there is a more cynical answer to that other point that shall go unsaid

2 Likes