Smart Meters

I have read that smart meters affect solar panels re the sell back and that you can find yourself worse off, is this true please.

Hi @Avril I’m not too sure what you mean by this, but I’ll try explain how it works.

The actual smart meter itself will not impact your generation meter, which is the other meter you have that measures the amount of energy the solar panels produce.

Any excess energy you produce and don’t use will be exported back to the grid. If you are on the FIT scheme, you are paid a deemed amount for this energy, which assumes you export 50% of the energy you produce back to the grid (this is very generous for most properties!). When you are exporting energy, your meter will simply stop and not move until you start to import energy from the grid. Some older meters would move backwards, but this shouldn’t happen, so all modern meters have a backstop on them which stops this happening.

So, long story short, whether the meter is smart or not does impact the amount you pay for your energy. If it does, then you have a faulty meter. Hope this explains things but please let me know if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick!

Thanks,
Sam