Smart meters

I love bulb, but do you have more details on when I can get a smart meter ?
I currently have an SSE smart meter so would be happy to use that, or get a new one if required.

Hi @RickEd ,

At the moment, all the information about Bulb and Smart Meters is in the thread titled ‘Bulb and Smart Meters’ at the top of this forum - http://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/6703/bulb-and-smart-meters (and in https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/sections/360001496631-Smart-meters ). They are coming soon, but depending on the model of your existing installed smart meter it may be able to be made ‘SMETS2’ compatible (or, failing that, you’ll just have to manually provide meter readings).

We love you too @RickEd! That thread has all the details :3

I’ve just been moved over to the smart tariff now after signing up.

Do bulb have energy monitors so I can see ‘real time’ energy usage etc.

Do bulb have energy monitors so I can see ‘real time’ energy usage etc.

The In Home Display that you got from SSE should still work for that.

Thanks hooloovoo, SSE said they would release an app … which was never released.

Was wondering if there was a way of getting a similar one especially now I’ve left SSE.

Was wondering if there was a way of getting a similar one especially now I’ve left SSE.

The short answer to this question is: Yes. The longer answer is much more complicated.

The electric meter creates a Home Area Network (HAN) using Zigbee-radio, which is similar to WiFi but is secure and controlled by the supplier operating the meter. All local communication with the gas meter and the In Home Display (IHD) occurs over the HAN. The electric meter then also handles the futher upload of all billing information over mobile data like a smartphone.

You can simply buy your own IHD, but it will be at your own expense. Additionally, you would then need to get Bulb to pair the new device on your HAN, which they may or may not be able to do it yet. So the longer answer to the question is: Yes, but it’s tricky, and it’ll be at your own expense.

The IHD supplied by Scottish Power when they fitted my meters is a IHD3-MS made by Chameleon Technology. Other manufacturers of equipment are available. You may be more interested in something like a Consumer Access Device such as this which allows you access to your real time usage via their Bright app. I was going to purchase one of these but I’ve since discovered that it only works with their cloud service, and there’s no way of logging the data locally without going via the internet. In any case, all devices will require the supplier to pair it for you, and so you could well struggle to ever get anything connected.

thanks for that @Hooloovoo you have been most helpful. I didn’t know it were just a zigbee client.

I can look into that and check with bulb to see if they can pair for me.

thanks for that @Hooloovoo you have been most helpful. I didn’t know it were just a zigbee client.

I can look into that and check with bulb to see if they can pair for me.

You’re most welcome. Please do be sure to come back and let us know about your experience if you do try to get a third-party device connected to your meter. There’s a couple of us on here trying to do similar, and it’s all very new to Bulb so any feedback on experience will be helpful to others.

For info, I’m now looking at the Prescience Mira gateway but it’s not yet clear if it’s available to purchase directly by end users. If you specifically want an IHD, their Polaris device looks quite exciting, particularly in terms of connecting to other home automation devices.

The IHD supplied by Scottish Power when they fitted my meters is a IHD3-MS made by Chameleon Technology.
Which is almost certainly what we'll get from Bulb as well. Chameleon has been confirmed as the manufacturer and I can't imagine they're going to give us the colour version.

The Bulb smart meters will almost certainly be the ES-10A and the GS-60B.