Smart Tariff not (yet) available with SMETS2 smart meters!

thanks @"Eleanor at Bulb"

At this point, it looks like I’m going to have to find a different supplier who can give me a cheaper overnight rate.

Well, you better make sure the meter Bulb put in is compatible. Despite what all the suppliers seem to be saying, that is not always the case. i.e. you can’t switch to Octopus if you have a SMETS2 meter installed by Bulb.

This is really a complete mess and I feel I’ve been conned into having a smart meter which gives me absolutely no benefit WRT my tariff.

Well, you better make sure the meter Bulb put in is compatible. Despite what all the suppliers seem to be saying, that is not always the case. i.e. you can't switch to Octopus if you have a SMETS2 meter installed by Bulb.
Did Octopus tell you this?

Hi @Trapper - that doesn’t sound right to me. You will be able to switch suppliers with a SMETS2.

Part of the reason we waited for the SMETS2 meters to be ready before installing smart meters in out member’s homes was to make it easy to switch and maintain smart functionality.

Who told you that you could not switch? Bulb or Octopus?

@coles I’ve triple checked with our smart team that I’m right on this. We’re not currently able to take SMETS2 members on to the smart tariff.

I’ve spoken to our copy team to make this clearer on our smart page. They have now linked the ‘compatible smart meter’ to our help centre to make it clear which meters can and cannot be on the smart tariff at the moment.

I am very sorry if you have been told the wrong information before having the meter installed. This should have been made clear. I’m unable to give you a date on when SMETS2 will be able to be added to the smart tariff but we’re working on it currently so it should be in the next few months.

We’d be sad to see you go but totally understand that you need the right rates for you. I hope that once we’re able to enrol SMETS2 on to the smart tariff that you’ll consider coming back to us!

It may well be that Octopus can’t currently utilise the Bulb installed SMETS2 meters as all of that integration is very much a work in progress for all suppliers.

Octopus uses Liberty Meters and no doubt their systems are optimised for that - it may take some time before they can offer their fancy tariffs with other SMETS2 setups.

@“Eleanor at Bulb” - thank you for the update. I think Bulb is a fantastic company and I can only guess at the levels of frustration that the smart meter rollout must be causing you all internally. The discrepancy wasn’t between this forum and the online content. It was that I was being told directly by a member of your customer team that I could have the smart tariff with a SMETS2 meter and that she had checked this with the smart meter team. I think the gap is properly educating your contact centre team on this.

@mowcius - my understanding is that suppliers get meter reading data via the DCC for SMETS2, and that this data is a consistent format (canonical) regardless of meter supplier? I think the principle of meter portability is good, but the challenges are going to be operational - e.g. Bulb will have a contract with a 3rd party (probably) to do meter maintenance, which will work great where it’s an L&G meter that Bulb has fitted, but what happens when a Bulb customer has a problem with a Liberty, or Secure, or Siemens (et al) SMETS2 meter fitted by someone else … will that 3rd party company really be able to service all makes and models of SMETS2 meter, or will the number of meter swaps go up due to the practicalities of managing a mixed estate?

I’m somewhat involved in SMETS2 from the payments side of things (in real life, I’m the CTO of a company called PayPoint). We’ve been testing prepay meter top-ups literally for years with a number of energy companies and the operational behaviour of SMETS2 meters in the lab and in the field varies quite a lot between manufacturers. Some of the gas meters take ages to ‘wake up’, for example, which is a bit of a pain when you’re trying to top them up with a payment.

@"Eleanor at Bulb" - thank you for the update. I think Bulb is a fantastic company and I can only guess at the levels of frustration that the smart meter rollout must be causing you all internally. The discrepancy wasn't between this forum and the online content. It was that I was being told directly by a member of your customer team that I could have the smart tariff with a SMETS2 meter and that she had checked this with the smart meter team. I think the gap is properly educating your contact centre team on this..

Thanks for getting back to this @coles . Totally agree. You should always receive the same info, whether you speak to our team, read our website or come on Community for an answer. I’ve flagged this with our training and smart team so we can improve. We aim to deliver #1 service but we’ve clearly let you down on this ocassion. Thanks for bringing it up on the forum - it’s important to know what we need to improve on.