SMETS 1 meters and smart tariff

I requested to be moved onto the smart tariff and you responded with:
“Your old supplier installed a first generation smart meter we can’t read. We’ll look to install a second generation one by the end of 2020 at the latest, although we hope to do it sooner”
My SMETS 1 meter is up-gradable to the “adoption and enrolment” system so that other suppliers can once again use it as a smart meter.
And it wasn’t exactly a quick Google search to confirm this either!
My question is: Am I simply (logically not technically) waiting for my smart meter software to be upgraded or are bulb really going to have to upgrade my hardware?
If its a waiting game for a software upgrade, any ideas on realistic time scales other than end of 2020 as from what I have read this should have been complete by the end of June 2019. I assume that deadline was a bit pie in the sky along with the many other smart meter proposals.
Thanks
Joni. (The sceptic)

My SMETS 1 meter is up-gradable to the "adoption and enrolment" system so that other suppliers can once again use it as a smart meter. And it wasn't exactly a quick Google search to confirm this either! My question is: Am I simply (logically not technically) waiting for my smart meter software to be upgraded or are bulb really going to have to upgrade my hardware?

I think it’s impossible to answer this question currently.

From past discussions on here, even meters of the same make and model are not necessarily compatible. My meter from another supplier is readable, but someone else on here with the same meter from the same supplier but an older firmware revision was not. Does this also affect adoption and enrolment? Who knows. Does the meter manufacturer have to provide new firmware? If so who’s responsibility is it to see that it’s upgraded? Does the original supplier have to do it since presumably they know how to talk to it, or is it Bulb, or is it the DCC?

I would suggest that this is likely all out of Bulb’s hands. Hopefully by the time any of this happens, Bulb might have fixed their metering and billing platform to be able to actually process meter data provided by the DCC …

I have a new SMETS2 meter, it works on and off after being installed on the 3rd attempt by Siemens and Bulb. I specifically got it so I could get onto the smart tariff. Bulb have now told me the smart tariff only works on SMETS1 meters. Really poor communication. With an electric car the night time rate was part of the plan. Looking to switch now, probably Octopus Go.