SMETS 2

Hi

Now the SMETS 2 rollout has begun, how long do you think it will be before you start offering smart meter?

Hi @SamLittle. We’ll be installing smart meters in our member’s homes in early 2019. As soon as we have a date, we’ll make sure you know.

If I make a request via your current “fit a SMART meter option” can you confirm that a SMETS 2 meter will be fitted? The online sign up process does not make this clear.

@Richard_S

Yes, all smart meters fitted by Bulb will be SMETS2.

Unfortunately bulb wont fit a gen2 smart meter if you already have a gen 1 installed by a previous supplier, even though gen 1 wont work on their system.

SMETS1 meter’s should be compatible soon/eventually though. So it makes sense not to replace them from an economic and environmental standpoint.

https://smartdcc.co.uk/smart-future/enrolment-and-adoption/

phproxy
I agree, however bulb knew i had a Smets1 fitted but still suggested i register for smets 2 in the knowledge i would never be considered. The point is bulb does not appear to communicate accurately with customers. Iam being told it could take up to 2 years for smets1 to be compatable. Knowledge is everything, had i known I may have stuck woth my previous supplier.

Unfortunately bulb wont fit a gen2 smart meter if you already have a gen 1 installed by a previous supplier, even though gen 1 wont work on their system.

Where were you told this? Bulb have said here on this community that if your SMETS1 meter turns out to be unreadable even after the DCC upgrades then it’ll be replaced with a new SMETS2 meter. There’s no point in changing it before knowing that it can’t be read, though, that would just be a waste.

Bulb informed me today

I would suggest that whoever told you is wrong. Bulb aren’t the best for consistent advice between team members.

Hooloovoo
Thanks for the update. I would certainly agree re consistant advice. It makes perfect sense not to swap out smets1 for 2 untill they establish compatability. It appears to me that communication is not perhaps their strong point. All the best.

Hi @Derek55

We’re working really hard to help all our members have working smart meters.

I’m sorry that this wasn’t made clear to you earlier. The reason why we’re not prioritising members who have a SMETS1 is that all SMETS1 meters will be enrolled into DCC network in next couple of years.

I'm sorry that this wasn't made clear to you earlier. The reason why we're not prioritising members who have a SMETS1 is that all SMETS1 meters will be enrolled into DCC network in next couple of years.

I thought that was supposed to be happening in May and done by the end of this year?

I'm sorry that this wasn't made clear to you earlier. The reason why we're not prioritising members who have a SMETS1 is that all SMETS1 meters will be enrolled into DCC network in next couple of years.

I thought that was supposed to be happening in May and done by the end of this year?

The consultation on whether to integrate the “Secure” branded (1/3 of SMETS1 apparently) meters is still apparently ongoing.
see here

End of 2020 is when they’ll either have been integrated (likely), or replaced with SMETS2.

What’s the latest on SMETS2 rollout with Bulb? It seems to have gone quiet. The last formal blog update was in July (as far as I can see).

What's the latest on SMETS2 rollout with Bulb? It seems to have gone quiet. The last formal blog update was in July (as far as I can see).

With no response, I guess that says it all!