SMETS1 IHD

When my SMETS1 metter becomes smart again will I need a new IHD? Or will the old one come back to live?
Thank you,

Does any off the staff peruse these threads?

Does any off the staff peruse these threads?

I’m sorry to say their absence is quite obvious these days.

When my SMETS1 metter becomes smart again will I need a new IHD? Or will the old one come back to live?

It will come back to life.

In fact, it ought to still be working aside from the tariff information being wrong. The usage in kWh should still be correct.

Thank you,

I’m thinking of opting in for a smart meter, but I just checked online to see how I could get it installed and it says I already have one? I used to have one many years ago with British Gas so I’m guessing it’s linked still. However, I have absolutely no clue where the old smart meter is. How do I get one connected?

Hi Libby,

Welcome back to community :wave:

There are two types of smart meters. SMETS1 was the first generation, followed by SMETS2 which is what we are installing in homes at present.

It sounds like you are talking about your In Home Display, as opposed to your actual smart meter.

When your smart meters are installed, your engineer should have offered you an In-Home Display (IHD). It’s a small electronic device with a screen on one side, which tells you information about your energy usage. You can find out how much gas or electricity you’re using right now, in pounds and pence, or kilowatts (kW). And you can investigate previous months, to see how your usage has changed over time.

If you weren’t given an IHD by your previous supplier, we’re unable to supply one for now. But we hope to be able to by the end of 2021. We can add you to the ‘missing IHD’ list and we will contact you as soon as it is possible to send one out to you.

You can read more about smart meters on our help page here.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. If you’d prefer - you can send a photo of your meter through for us to check the details?

– Daisy :bulb: