SMETS1 Smart Tariff Question

Just a question that maybe someone can answer.

So my gran was with Swalec (SSE), she had the SMETS1 meters and SSE IHU, so when she switched her meter became a DullMeter as Bulb cannot read SMETS1 yet only SMETS2. I then read that the Bulb SMART tariff only works with some SMETS1 meters as they have partnered with a company that can read them, the tariff does not yet work with SMETS2 meters. I applied to switch her onto the smart tariff and Bulb then replied to say she had been switched.

So I go down today and notice the IHU has now started showing usage prices again and her Bulb account is now showing smart readings.

The question is, if Bulb can read these meters, why do they not read them for the verifair tariff and leave them as dull meters?

As you said, Bulb can read some SMETS1 meters so can offer the smart tariff to some people. They do offer the standard variable tariff on these meters, so I’m not quite getting your question.

As you said, Bulb can read some SMETS1 meters so can offer the smart tariff to some people. They do offer the standard variable tariff on these meters, so I'm not quite getting your question.

When she switched the IHU went dull, no prices and no smart readings sent to bulb. If they do read some SMETS1 on the standard tariff are you saying I need to ask them to try and read it? As they dont do it automatically, like I said they never took a smart reading from it and it showed no tariff info or usage stats. It was dead.

They say when you try and switch to the smart tariff they will then test to see if they can read the SMETS1 meter. From what I have seen they do not try and read it when you switch to bulb in the first place, only when you apply for the smart tariff. So my question is why? Why do they not try and read it and let you know when you initially switch.

Still not with you. You said “her Bulb account is now showing smart readings” then said “they never took a smart reading from it”.

Can’t be both.

With a SMETS1 meter, by default you will go on the standard tariff. If you request the smart tariff, Bulb will check whether they can take the required half hourly readings for the smart tariff to work. If they can, then they’ll switch you to it. If not, you stay on the standard variable tariff.

Are you just talking about establishing whether Bulb can read your SMETS1 meter or not?

Ok let me try again.

She switched to bulb on standard tariff.
IHU then went dead and bulb wanted manual readings.

Applied to switch to smart tariff, THEN bulb try to see if they can get readings. They could so they put her on the smart tariff.

My question is why do they not try and get readings from it on the standard tariff when you originally switch?

Get me now?

Let’s try this way.

When she switched she was on the standard tariff.

I had to go down monthly to take manual reads of the meters for her.

Now on the smart tariff they can get the reads so I dont have to.

Why dont they see if they can read the SMETS1 when she switched as they have the capacity to do?

Got it now but don’t know the answer.

Unless when the switch took place Bulb were unable to read it remotely but could by the time you requested the smart tariff. The work to be able to do this only started in the summer, so could be that.

Bulb have said they will contact customers with dumb SMETS1 meters as soon as they become smart again.

Got it now but don't know the answer.

Unless when the switch took place Bulb were unable to read it remotely but could by the time you requested the smart tariff. The work to be able to do this only started in the summer, so could be that.

Bulb have said they will contact customers with dumb SMETS1 meters as soon as they become smart again.

Ah ok thanks for the reply. My grandads switch goes through on september 6th and he has the same SSE SMETS1 and IHU as my nan so will see of that goes dumb or if they try and read it.

Thanks for the reply.

If your gran is better off on the standard variable tariff, she should be able to switch back easily enough.

My question is why do they not try and get readings from it on the standard tariff when you originally switch?

It’s purely a matter of workload and capacity. They prioritise checking if the SMETS1 meter is readable to those who request to go on the smart tariff. That’s all.

If it turns out the smart tariff isn’t any cheaper, then the customer can switch back to the single rate tariff and they still get to keep the active smart functionality. So if someone is really bothered and wants to “jump the queue” they could request to go on the smart tariff and then a month later ask to switch back.