SMETS2 Update from Octopus - Meters pre tested in the factory do not then work in the field..

https://octopus.energy/blog/unblocking-second-generation-smart-meters/

I guess Bulb may have been involved in the call they mention, but it’s worth remembering how hard people are working to get these things working before you allow your blood pressure to rise too much.

The top layer of meters in the pallet didn’t work.
And here’s why:

The manufacturers test the top layer of meters before they leave the factory. Typical good practice to make sure a batch works.

But under the SMETS2 security protocol, it seems that a meter which has been tested will no longer work – possibly never again.

The top layer of a pallet is over 100 meters - so this is a pretty big issue.

Admirable transparency from the CEO of one of Bulb’s rivals.

The manufacturers test the top layer of meters before they leave the factory. Typical good practice to make sure a batch works.

But under the SMETS2 security protocol, it seems that a meter which has been tested will no longer work – possibly never again.

I’m afraid I’m not buying that, essentially, a manufacturer doesn’t understand their own hardware or the protocol to which they have been designed.

I agree with @Hooloovoo, the manufacturers should know their products security protocols.
I would also question this description of testing meters. Why would any company palletize goods only then to take the top layer for testing. This also sounds like an excessive proportion of the goods to be tested. But who knows, with the chaotic nature of this rollout anything is possible.
The last statement on the blog is also patently wrong. The meters are the same whether used in the north or south, only the comms unit is different, so the same issue would affect all areas.

This also sounds like an excessive proportion of the goods to be tested.

It also doesn’t match up with stats from Bulb. In their blog, Bulb said they’ve installed 24k meters and at least 7k have had problems. So that’s at least 29%.

How many meters on a pallet? If the top layer is 100 meters, lets say it’s 10x10. How many layers? Another 10? So 1000 meters per pallet. If the top 100 meters are faulty due to testing then that’s 10%. To get to 29% there would have to be only 350 meters on the pallet. Lets be optimistic and say 10x10x4. Only 4 rows with 25% fail. Seems unlikely.

Not to mention as you say, testing the entire top row of a pallet seems excessive and also unlikely.

I call BS of the highest order. Well, ok, no, not the highest order. They’re not politicians.