Solar panels and FIT

Hello, I moved into a newly built property in late March, it has a small array or solar panels.
When I asked the builder about payment for electricity generate but not used he said it didn’t apply to solar on new builds.
Not knowing much about the subject I left it at that. Does the fact that I don’t have a certificate from the Microgeneration Certified Scheme mean I can’t receive payment for the extra energy I generate. Thanks.

FIT is now closed, so that option is gone.

To sign up for an export tariffs I believe you still need the MCS certificate.

But it might be worth registering to see what they say…

I tried to register but as you mentioned that’s not possible without a MCS certificate.

I’ll try to find out if the solar fitter was certified but I don’t hold out much hope. When we moved in we would have been issued with a certificate along with all the other paperwork if that was the case.

I tried to register but as you mentioned that’s not possible without a MCS certificate.

I’ll try to find out if the solar fitter was certified but I don’t hold out much hope. When we moved in we would have been issued with a certificate along with all the other paperwork if that was the case.

https://microgenerationcertification.org/consumers/copies-of-mcs-certificates/

You can check whether an MCS Certificate exists by calling the MCS Helpdesk. You will need to know the technology type of the system and the full address (including postcode) where the system is installed.

+44 (0) 333 103 8130

https://microgenerationcertification.org/consumers/copies-of-mcs-certificates/

You can check whether an MCS Certificate exists by calling the MCS Helpdesk. You will need to know the technology type of the system and the full address (including postcode) where the system is installed.

+44 (0) 333 103 8130

Thanks for the info.

I read through the link you posted and even if a certificate exists I still have provide evidence of proof of ownership!!! Who else might own it? I’m the first owner of a new property.

I presume if there is no certificate then that’s that?

I’m not sure it’s worth the effort.

I read through the link you posted and even if a certificate exists I still have provide evidence of proof of ownership!!! Who else might own it? I'm the first owner of a new property.

The builder is the first owner. Presumably you have proof you bought the property off the builder?!? This shouldn’t be much of a stumbling block …

I read through the link you posted and even if a certificate exists I still have provide evidence of proof of ownership!!! Who else might own it? I'm the first owner of a new property.

The builder is the first owner. Presumably you have proof you bought the property off the builder?!? This shouldn’t be much of a stumbling block …

From the scheme web page:

For Proof of Ownership, one of the following four items is sufficient:

a fully paid invoice marked paid by the original MCS Contractor (i.e. the installation company);

the original invoice with the corresponding bank statements showing full payment has been made; or

a formal letter from a solicitor, on headed paper, stating that the customer is the owner of the system in question; or

a copy of the system owners electricity bill (or equivalent) that shows they are currently in receipt of the Feed-in Tariff.

Note that, proof of ownership of the property is not proof of ownership of the system.

Note that, proof of ownership of the property is not proof of ownership of the system.

Hmm. I see. Yes, I suppose the issue is you need to prove that the array isn’t part of a “rent a roof” scheme or similar, and not just that you own the property. It would seem if the builder isn’t being helpful, then you either need to find out which sub-contractor actually installed the panels, or follow the advice phproxy gave.

Only you can decide if the free money from the panels is worth the effort.

It may well be worth concentrating on installing battery or heat storage to make the most of the panels, so that the tiny amount you might end up exporting is worth very little in any case.

Only you can decide if the free money from the panels is worth the effort.

Exactly.

I’m happy I have solar panels and that they are saving me money on my electric bills. I thought it would be simple to get payment for the energy I’m putting back into the grid, I didn’t think it would be so complicated.

The builder is away on hols for 4 weeks but I will be in contact with the electrician that did the install tomorrow. I’m doubtful I can get a MCS certificate so will fall at the first hurdle anyway.