Solar panels

We have solar panels and is what is generated deducted from our electric bill

That’s a great question on an issue which confuses lots of people so I’ll try to explain:

Assuming that you don’t have any battery storage and that the panels are tied to the grid (that’s how most systems are set up); the energy they generate will be used immediately by the nearest point of demand. So, if your washing machine is on or you boil the kettle on a sunny day, the energy will come directly from your solar panels, as long as they are generating more than you are using (otherwise the excess comes from the grid). The units are not deducted from your bill as such, but you will save that amount off of your bill; because you did not need to import the energy from the grid, you don’t need to pay for it.

Any energy that your solar panels generate that you do not immediately use in your home will be exported to the grid. This will be used to power your neighbours’ fridges etc. Unless they were installed in the last week, your solar panels should qualify for export payments to reward you for this (currently set at around 5.3p per kWh). However, they usually deem this to be half of the units that you generate rather than actually measuring the units that you export; but, if you have a smart meter, it is possible to record and receive payment based on the actual export figure.

Finally, most solar panels installed before April 2019 qualify for the Feed In Tariff (FIT) where you receive a payment for all the units of electricity generated, regardless of who ultimately uses the energy. This varies depending on the date the system was commissioned (it started off rather generous, but has been reducing each quarter to the point where it was withdrawn completely this month). Assuming that you own the solar panels rather than having signed up for a different arrangement, then you will qualify to receive these payments each quarter. You need to register with one of the energy companies to receive these payments, but it doesn’t have to be your current supplier.

I have just had solar pv panels installed and it is reducing my meter readings as I have an old meter which goes backwards. Do I have to account for the drastic reduction in readings to Bulb?

I have just had solar pv panels installed and it is reducing my meter readings as I have an old meter which goes backwards. Do I have to account for the drastic reduction in readings to Bulb?

Yes it’s your responsibility to inform Bulb now you’re aware…They’ll have the meter replaced.