Solar pv panels and smart meters

I have solar pv panels
Can I have a smart meter and will this affect how it operates?

Can I have a smart meter

Yes.

and will this affect how it operates?

No.

Hi @Laurieg ,

You can have your solar panels on a SMETS1 smart meter, but ironically for now, if you have a new second generation smart meter, you’d have to have a separate export meter.

If you already have an export meter then getting second generation smart meter will not affect your solar panels.

A slightly more expansive answer can be found here:

Best

Oisin

You can have your solar panels on a SMETS1 smart meter, but ironically for now, if you have a new second generation smart meter, you'd have to have a separate export meter.

Why? That makes no sense. All smart meters measure both import and export.

Hi @Hooloovoo ,

All smart meters measure export and import, as do ours, but the software to do that for the SMETS2 hasn’t been released.

Best

Oisin

All smart meters measure export and import, as do ours, but the software to do that for the SMETS2 hasn't been released.

Thanks @“Oisin at Bulb”. I still don’t really understand. The meter logs the export and displays it via the user interface on the device. Presumably this is available as part of the data that are uploaded to the DCC.

Do you mean the Bulb software for using the export readings from the data provided by the DCC?

Are you any closer to being able to make customer data available to download, from either SMETS1 or SMETS2?

@Hooloovoo, thanks for your response I’ve had a bit more time to look into this and had a chat with the Solar team, so I can provide a bit more of an update on where we are with SMETS2 meters. We’ve been waiting on our DDC adaptor Utiligroup to finish producing the software for us to access export readings from SMETS2 meters, due to the delay in this we are only just beginning progress on building our own software to interact with theirs. Its one of the key objectives of the Solar team to be able to take readings from SMETS2 meters by the end of this year.

In regards to SMETS1 we’re able to get readings for certain meters which are on the CGI network.

Hope that makes it a bit more clear. I’ll tag in @“Ben at Bulb” from the Solar team for any follow ups.

Thanks @“Oisin at Bulb”.

Are you any closer to being able to make customer data available to download, from either SMETS1 or SMETS2?

@Hooloovoo, thanks for your response I've had a bit more time to look into this and had a chat with the Solar team, so I can provide a bit more of an update on where we are with SMETS2 meters. We've been waiting on our DDC adaptor Utiligroup to finish producing the software for us to access export readings from SMETS2 meters, due to the delay in this we are only just beginning progress on building our own software to interact with theirs. Its one of the key objectives of the Solar team to be able to take readings from SMETS2 meters by the end of this year.

In regards to SMETS1 we’re able to get readings for certain meters which are on the CGI network.

Hope that makes it a bit more clear. I’ll tag in @“Ben at Bulb” from the Solar team for any follow ups.

You could just pay these guys less than £4 per user to do it for you and they’ll sort out the customer access to the data too while you are at it that you’ve failed to sort out over the last 12 months.
https://data.n3rgy.com/home
https://data.n3rgy.com/pricing (2k-10k properties is £4 each, clearly it will be cheaper for you guys)