Squeaky meter

I have just been to read my meter and noticed the gas meter is squeaking. it’s very quiet and it sounds like the little wheel inside is squeaking. There’s no hissing or smell of gas. it’s just a noise that I’ve never noticed before. Anyone come across this before?

Hi @annarch,

I remember my parent’s gas meter squeaked (it was 20 years+ old) and I think an external wall-mounted gas meter I had in a rented house also squeaked (only could be heard when opening the meter box: my parent’s one was a lot louder) - so it’s certainly not uncommon. If there’s no hissing/gas leak it’s probably not worth worrying about, but if you are worried you can ask Bulb ( https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001240291-How-can-I-get-in-touch-with-Bulb- ) to send around an engineer for a safety check (meters are meant to be checked/read every 2 years - hence why you may get a meter reader come round even though you’ve been providing readings yourself).

Hi @annarch

The very quiet squeaking sound is likely just the meter tracking your usage, there are some moving parts in meters which can sometimes making these noises.

If you feel you want to speak to one of the team about it though, just call us on 0300 30 30 635, from Monday to Friday (9:00am to 6:00pm)