Still not resolved

I’ve been with bulb over a year and they still haven’t resolved my meter reading issue…
apparently the guys who installed my smart meter before i moved to bulb didn’t renew the new reading on the data base…
so every time I submit a reading it isn’t recognised…
they say they are sorting it but it’s been going on forever, and I’m still getting mails telling me to submit readings as I haven’t submitted any yet…!
still no idea what my bill might be and it’s over a year…

1 Like

Not trying to excuse Bulb in any way, clearly they are terrible, but the maths is trivial to work out your bill from your meter readings. So you should be able to get within a few pence of what the bill will end up being.

Hi @mitchgodders thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I have just chased up the advisor who is dealing with this, I will send you an email today as soon as we have got it sorted.

Unfortunately if your previous supplier does not update the database after your meter is exchanged then it can lead to a few problems down the line when you join another supplier. We can definitely get this sorted though, so please look out for my email today.

• Sam

This all depends if the OP has kept a record of the opening and subsequent meter readings to enable them to work out the costs for themselves. In all my time of being with my previous suppliers which includes Bulb plus my new suppliers all my meter readings have been correctly logged. In this day and age when it is supposed to be easy to change suppliers the problem experienced by the OP shouldn’t happen.

They don’t need a log of all the readings. They just need the opening reading, and the reading they can see on the meter right now. If they don’t have the opening reading and Bulb have never produced a statement, hopefully they do still have the final bill from the previous supplier and thus the closing readings.

I don’t have any readings, it was over a year ago…
the only reason I realised there was a problem was when bulb sent me a message to say I’ve never sent a reading…
I called them straight away and they said they would sort it but that was ages ago, I have called again since, and they asked me for photos, which were sent months ago…
of which i heard nothing, so called again and again was told they can now sort it ,but that again was weeks ago…

Valid point but they are stuck unless they have at least the opening reading. I fail to see why Bulb would wait 12 months before reminding the OP about not having sent meter readings.

hi Sam, despite your promise to send me an email yesterday , I still have received nothing…
yours hopefully
mitchell…

Hi @mitchgodders, sorry for the delay. I have sent you an email now. - Sam

this issue is still outstanding…
absolutely unbelievable, 2 years now with bulb and still have no idea what my bill is…
and still getting pestered by messages and requests to send them a meter reading, which I keep sending but just keeps getting rejected by the system as it so far from their estimates…
beyond a joke now…
I can’t even see how they can work it out with price increases and when I used what…!
I need help as to what I should do…

you have been more than patient my friend, in your position I would open a complaint via the Ombudsman service, and I bet that grabs their attention. This is a quote from the Ombudsman site, try it out, I have, and it works “We’re not a watchdog or a regulator – our job is to resolve complaints - so we can put consumers back into the position they were in before the issue occurred” Good luck

2 years?! And yet you’ve to register it as an official complaint?! You’ll need to do this with Bulb as soon as possible. After which you can start to properly progress the issue at hand.

You say you’ve sent emails previously with pictures however these have had little effect. Collate your current meter details, the individual serial numbers for both gas and electricity meters, with current readings also. Near to these should be a sticker with previous meter details, removal date, removal reading and historical serial number. Bulb can cross reference ECOES/XOServe (national database for both). In essence, it’s an issue that is very straight forward to remedy when they update the supply metering details and their systems accordingly.

I would however look to push Bulb for some form of compensation given the time you say you’ve spent dealing with this. You’ll need to give them ample time after raising an official complaint before progressing to the Ombudsman though but I’m unsure whether you’ve previously raised this formally.

Should the updated bills leave you in a deficit once all meter details and reads have been verified, as part of the resolution, you might want to suggest a figure towards this or look to see if they you can utilise any charter back billing process.

If you need any further help then let me know.

thank you for your reply, it is now registered as a complaint, and hopefully will be resolved shortly…
if I may ask one more question…
they raised my tariff 50% a while back saying I was using more than expected, but obviously they have no idea…
are they allowed to do that ?

Glad to see some progress is being made. If you need any further advice or help with this I’d be glad to offer it.

As for the 50% increase, I assume you mean in relation to your monthly payments? With incorrect MSN’s and readings it is indeed very hard for Bulb to be confident of usage. If the meters were in place for a suitable amount of time with your previous supplier, by which I mean preferably as close to 12 months usage including winter, then I would request they amend your payments to a reasonable figure based on the kWH from previous statements. Should this not be possible, you can always request they use the national average based on your size property and adults living there etc.

Hi @mitchgodders I’m glad to hear a complaint has been raised for you. I can see there’s now also an account review alongside the complaint to prevent any other automated emails such as the one you received around increasing your payments. If there’s anything you don’t feel has been addressed in your complaint, I’d advise responding to that thread so that this is included in any resolution

I have the issue with the not very SMART meters. Fitted Aug 2019 and still not working. I like Bulb but this situation is ridiculous. It’s not just about meter readings or working out the bills, both easy enough. It’s about being given something that is supposed to help but isn’t doing the job.

Hi @simondsmail,

I agree, we need to get this sorted for you. I’ve sent you an email and we will escalate your case.

I’m in a similar position. Got a smart meter installed in Jun 2019, and my gas reading on my account still doesn’t reflect what’s on my meter. I called about this in the beginning of March 2020 and just never heard back.

Hi @kate.cochart,

I’m very sorry for the situation with your smart meter, I’ve sent you an email so we can get this sorted.

you have not sent me an email…
every time I get in touch ,you tell me you will have it sorted within a week …
which has now been going on for months, and the problem itself for years…
and every time I hear nothing…
you just say these things on the community to make it look like your doing something, when in reality your not…
just get it sorted…

1 Like