Sudden high bill

I am suddenly £400 in debit even though I have been paying regularly and have not changed my electricity usage. I have only just submitted a meter reading after a long time so I understand that it might fluctuate but this seems very extreme. Any ideas what could have happened?

Are you absolutely sure you are in debt and it isn’t a £400 credit? On https://account.bulb.co.uk/dashboard/payments-and-statements on the Balance column, if it starts with a +, you are definetly in credit.

Bulb tends to ensure people have at least 1 months credit ‘in advance’ so to hear you are £400 in debt sounds very wrong indeed. The only thing I can think of is a recent meter read is a lot lot higher than estimated (a big benefit of doing at least monthly meter readings) so Bulb has actually estimating you using a lot less power than you have been (and therefore actually undercharging you).

I am suddenly £400 in debit even though I have been paying regularly and have not changed my electricity usage. I have only just submitted a meter reading after a long time so I understand that it might fluctuate but this seems very extreme. Any ideas what could have happened?

Perhaps estimated readings for your statement, submitting monthly readings at the correct time to Bulb means your statements will be accurate.

Hi @Emma77 I have emailed you to get a photo of your meter, it looks like you entered a very high reading which triggered a large bill.

Hi, I emailed with a photo of my meter and have received no response as yet. Are there any developments with this?

Hi, I emailed with a photo of my meter and have received no response as yet. Are there any developments with this?

Whilst you are waiting for a response from the Bulb team, you can view your meter readings in the “Energy usage” section of your accounts dashboard. This may possibly not show the most recent readings in your photo to Bulb but at least give an indication why your bill was so high if it was due to an earlier incorrect meter reading.

The trouble is that it does not say what my meter reading was when I joined bulb. I have compared it to my last British Gas reading but can’t see that it has gone up by an amount that explains the bill. It’s hard to tell though as it’s over such a long time period. The strange thing is that I have been paying £20 a month and my usage is exactly the same. I cannot fathom how I can have used an extra £400 worth of electricity.

Just before you switched to Bulb, did you supply a meter reading?

Also to get accurate bills ideally you should be submitting meter readings every month, this would prevent any build-up in your debt to Bulb.

@Emma77 I can see my colleague Ben has replied to your email, let me know if we can help further :slight_smile: