Switch from British Gas - What about Smart Meter?

Hello, I’ve just processed a switch to you guys, please can you let me know what happens regarding having a smart meter (I have one) - do I get to keep it? Will they need to remove it? Can I still give meter readings normally?

Look forward to hearing from you,

@redrosewhite, following the switch, your smart meter will remain but will become “dumb” and you will need to take manual meter readings.

Bulb have a guide for reading meters (including smart meters) here if it’s not super obvious how to do so.

@redrosewhite @mowcius Love seeing our Bulb community help each other out. That is exactly right. However, we’ll be installing our own smart meters later in 2018. These will be able to be read by any supplier even if you decide to switch away (which we hope you don’t)

@mowcius spot on! @redrosewhite, we’re looking to bring in second-generation meters around early-middle 2018. We’ll be able to take remote readings from them and so will any other supplier if you decide to move away.

Love seeing our Bulb community help each other out.
Forget all of this cheaper energy stuff; openness, and a sense of community and doing good is what drew me to bulb so I'm doing my best to make it what I believe it can be!

(Don’t forget about saving the planet though or I’ll quickly jump back to Good Energy) :wink:

I’m liking the easy and laid back flow on here. Life is so much easier when one is dealing with an approachable person…in this case the bulb community.

Link to bonus credit :wink:

Link to bonus credit ;)
The constant barrage of people's referral links is probably my least favourite part of Bulb.

Practically everyone on these forums is a member of Bulb already so links here are just noise and don’t contribute to the discussion.

Link to bonus credit ;)
The constant barrage of people's referral links is probably my least favourite part of Bulb.

Practically everyone on these forums is a member of Bulb already so links here are just noise and don’t contribute to the discussion.

Sorry if my post rubbed you the wrong way. But just so you know, I stumbled onto this forum which is where I got the link I used. Again, my apologies for sounding off in a public forum.

Ref the above - just checking.

Should my smart meter from British Gas still work, just not send any readings to British Gas any more? Mine appears to have stopped working completely - eg does not show any usage etc - just has trouble connecting to the outside meter

@mattesar, British Gas completely disable their in home displays when you switch. They don’t have to, but they like to upset people once they’re no longer customers.

You’ll need to read the meter manually for now and submit readings as if it were a standard “dumb” meter.

Hi @mattesar, as @mowcius say the smart meter stops sending out readings as soon as you switch. If you take a look at the bottom of http://support.bulb.co.uk/customer/portal/articles/2805466-how-do-i-read-my-meter- it’ll explain how to get readings out of your smart meter