Switch to Economy 7 for an EV and smart meter roll-out

Hi,

I have recently bought an electric van and would like to be switched over to economy 7 so I can charge it at night at the lower rate. I understand it will cost approx. £100 to get the meter switched over. But I also want a smart meter eventually, Would the eco 7 meter be replaced by the smart meter when that gets installed and pointless to put the eco 7 meter in now if next year it will be replaced? I also have solar panels installed and I heard there was a problem with micro-generation and smart meters, has this been solved now?

Thanks,

Jules

Hi Jules,

Great news on the electric van! A meter exchange costs £122.83. We don’t currently install smart meters, as we are waiting for the second-generation models to be released in early 2018, when we will start installing them. So if you exchanged to an E7 meter now, it would be exchanged in 2018, but it could save you a considerable amount of money in the meantime by charging your van overnight. So long as your meters and solar panels have been installed properly, there should be no issue.

Cheers,
Owen

Hi Owen,

Sounds good, how do I book a meter change-over? I assume you can email me details or over the phone and we can continue then.

Thanks,

Jules

Hi Jules,

We need 10 working days notice to book the meter exchange, and we can book as either an AM or a PM timeslot.

How does a day w/c 20th November 2017 sound? We can then email you nearer to the time to confirm the engineer attendence.

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam,

Perfect! Yes sometime in w/c 20th November is good. I assume you know my email :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Jules

Hi Jules,

Great, we will be in touch over email.

Cheers,
Samantha

Hi, mind if I jump on this thread? I’m switching to bulb currently, should be complete next week I believe. I am an EV user and currently not on economy 7 so just top up when I get back from work each day.

From your messages above sounds like an economy 7 would be a good option even if it were to be replaced by a smart meter. I am assuming when replaced by a smart meter this can still do economy 7?

Assuming this is going to make financial sense for me can I look at booking on in too?

Thanks

Hi @Joehildred it sounds like an Economy 7 meter might work for you too. A smart meter can, I believe, be an economy 7 meter if it’s set up that way when it’s installed. If you’d like us to put in an economy seven meter for you that’s absolutely fine, we can do that, for £122.83 as mentioned above. If you’re currently in the process of switching, we can’t book you a meter exchange until the switch process is completed, but if you let us know once we take supply then I can book something for you. If you’d rather get in touch on here that’s fine, although it may be easier for you to give us a ring on 0300 30 30 635 or email help@bulb.co.uk, whatever works for you.
All the best,
David

Thanks, switch is due to complete on Wednesday so I’ll ring on Thursday probably. Will the guys be able to give me an insight as to when my region (North West) is scheduled to get smart meters do you think? Would hate to pay for an economy 7 meter and then be one of the first to get a smart meter in January!

Thanks

Hey @Joehildred , sounds good! Our smart meter roll out will be from summer next year, so no risk of you having one fitted in January. We’ll be getting in touch then onwards to offer all our members smart meters.

So I have one more question - bulb only has one tariff, so what’s the difference in rates if I move to economy 7 please?

Thanks

So I have one more question - bulb only has one tariff, so what’s the difference in rates if I move to economy 7 please?

Thanks

@Joehildred

If you ‘refine’ a quote, you can select E7.

E7:

vs standard:

Prices vary by location etc etc.

Hey @Joehildred , yep @phproxy is right :slight_smile: