Switching from nPower to Bulb

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of renewing my energy for both Gas and Electric. I am currently on the ‘Feel Good Fix June 2018 DD’ tariff for both gas and electric. I have tried to switch via the Bulb website however it says I will have to wait until the 15th of June. However my current tariff with nPower expires on the 30th of June.

Can anyone recommend what I should do in this situation?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ibrahim

Have you had a welcome email from Bulb which may have been titled “Well Hello There”. If so it means your switch from your current supplier to Bulb will be on 15 June (21 days after first joining Bulb) , on this date Bulb will start supplying your energy and your supply from your current supplier will cease.

Hi @Ibrahim, you should be able to switch no problem and with no exit fees as you’re within 49 days of the end of your contract.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/01/energy-firms-still-wrongly-telling-those-with-energy-fixes-ending-they-face-exit-fees-to-switch

The process of switching does however take a few weeks.

Thanks for the useful information all! Just a couple of question I need answering please:

1. Once I do the switch over to Bulb how do I monitor my usage with Bulb?
  2. Do you give monthly meter readings or do Bulb have a smart meter system like nPower does?
  3. Hoe often does the ‘one for all’ tariff change on Bulb and how are we notified of this?

Thanks for your help guys.

Ibrahim

@Ibrahim Thanks for getting in touch with us and I’ll do my best to answer your questions.

1. If you provide monthly meter readings, you’ll be able to see usage charts on a month to month basis online
  2. We currently don’t have our own smart meters, we’re looking to roll them out later on this year. For now, we recommend a reading once every 3 months to ensure that our estimations for your statements are as accurate as we can get them.
  3. We try to keep it as stable as we can, however, fluctuations in the energy market can cause us to increase our tariff or decrease our tariff. If we do decide to increase our tariff, we will let you know 90 days in advance.

@SJ at Bulb

1. I saw a response the other day from another member of Bulb Team to say 60 days advance notice is given for a price increase.

@Allanr, from the latest email sent out:

We promise to give you 60 days' notice if we do increase prices. And we never charge exit fees, so you can leave at any time with zero cost."

I suspect @“SJ at Bulb” has been working too hard on this warm bank holiday :grin:

@Ibrahim Thanks for getting in touch with us and I'll do my best to answer your questions.
  1. If you provide monthly meter readings, you’ll be able to see usage charts on a month to month basis online
  2. We currently don’t have our own smart meters, we’re looking to roll them out later on this year. For now, we recommend a reading once every 3 months to ensure that our estimations for your statements are as accurate as we can get them.
  3. We try to keep it as stable as we can, however, fluctuations in the energy market can cause us to increase our tariff or decrease our tariff. If we do decide to increase our tariff, we will let you know 90 days in advance.

If I switch today how do I know once my energy has definitely been switched over to Bulb. Is there something definitive that happens i.e an email is sent out once the switch has been done?

Hi guys, it is indeed 60 days notice, sorry about the confusion. @Ibrahim we will indeed fire you over an email on the day we take supply, letting you know that the switch has gone through and that you’re 100% Bulb

Hi guys, it is indeed 60 days notice, sorry about the confusion. @Ibrahim we will indeed fire you over an email on the day we take supply, letting you know that the switch has gone through and that you're 100% Bulb

Thanks for confirming I will do the switch over today. In the last 12 months how many times have the tariff increased or decreased and by what scale?

Thanks

Hi @Ibrahim perfect delighted to hear it, I’ve attached a little graph of our prices for a typical London home if that helps give you some sort of idea of the changes

Hi @Ibrahim perfect delighted to hear it, I've attached a little graph of our prices for a typical London home if that helps give you some sort of idea of the changes

Excellent - I’m assuming they these increases in prices are still far less then prices from the ‘big’ energy suppliers out there.

Once I request the switch through is there anything else required from me? Do you then just deal with nPower directly for me? Do I need to tell them that I am leaving them?

Thanks

@@Ibrahim

The information on this page may help: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/sections/115000338032-Previous-supplier-Exit-fees

I have now switched over to Bulb and it says that I will be paying £98.37 per month. I am assuming that once I give my meter readings monthly this will be calculated accordingly i.e. the monthly prices will be higher in the winter and will be considerably lower in the summer.
Does that sound right? If I give monthly meter reading I will only be paying for what I use?

Thanks

Hi @Ibrahim

Your monthly usage is an average throughout the year. We would charge this every month and the winter payments would be the same as the summer.

You will only ever actually pay for the usage from your meter reads in the end. We think it’s better to do this by monitoring your monthly payments and checking they’re appropriate for your usage. We will then let you know if the payments aren’t suitable and then adjusting the payment to make sure you’re paying the right amount.

Rob