Switching from pre pay to direct debit.

I’ve just moved in to a new house, it’s the first time I’ve been somewhere using a top up card.

I’ve just signed up to bulb (hello all!) but couldn’t see an option to say “im on top up now but want to sign up to bulb doing direct debit”
I don’t want to be stuck with top up cards. I’ve got a kid due in a couple of months and don’t want the added hassle of late night trips to the corner shop because the powers gone out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bulb can have new credit meters installed, but, at a cost of £120 per meter. The free option is a smart meter, however, you are going to have to search the forums about smart meters and there is a thread that has a form that you can register your interest in smart meters, then bulb will arrange for an installation in the future when they have the resources (getting an available engineer in your area and working through the already large list of customers registered) to install one.

Bulb can have new credit meters installed, but, at a cost of £120 per meter.
Why? This is unfair and further penalises customers on prepayment meters who already pay much more for their energy AND have the added hassle of going to a shop to pay for energy. How do I appeal this charge?

Some other energy providers replace prepay meters with credit meters without charge.

Npower changed mine for free when I moved into my house. Then I promptly switched away…

Why? This is unfair and further penalises customers on prepayment meters who already pay much more for their energy AND have the added hassle of going to a shop to pay for energy. How do I appeal this charge?

Bulb’s article on the charge for changing a prepayment meter: Can I exchange my prepayment meter? – Bulb

You can always wait until Bulb instals a smart meter at your property which means your meter will be changed free of charge.