Switching to bulb in progress, not switched yet, and you've already put up your prices

Hi, I recently got a quote from your site to switch, I was careful in that I used actual typical consumption for a year as input data (i.e. how much will iut cost to buy X amount of electricity and Y amount of Gas). The switch hasn’t even completed yet and today I get a message saying you are putting up your prices. How can you do that? isn’t a quote valid for a period of time? It’s not a big increase, but it leaves a bad impression that you aren’t honouring the pricing I signed up to only 9 days ago.

Is your increase effective as of today? or as the email should state you have been given 60 days notice of the increase. This would be in line with their policy.
As stated on other posts you are likely to find other utility companies will follow suite so it is best to sit tight and see what happens (price wise) You can leave at any time as there are no exit fees unlike most other companies.

As @scudo says, they should be honouring the price you signed up at for your switch (new customers are now being signed up at the new rate), and you’ll simply have the same increase as everyone else in 60 days.

Well my view was I was getting a quote for a 1 year period on 17th February, I took the decision based upon that quote and haven’t even switched yet, my switch date is March 10th, yesterdays email tells me my pricing goes up from April 28th. So before I even start buying energy from Bulb, the price promised has been taken off the table, As I said its not a big change, but if in my business I told someone “here’s a price for your needs for the next 12 months” and then put up that price before I had even started supplying goods or services (but after my customer accepts a contract), I would not expect to keep my customer.

Note, though, that the tariff is not a fixed but a variable one. Since I have been with Bulb this has meant that prices have also gone down.

Well my view was I was getting a quote for a 1 year period

Is there a reason that you thought it was fixed for 12 months?
The term “variable” would suggest otherwise.

I’m in exactly the same situation. I saw no mention of a possible price increase when signing up to your supply.
The letter you have sent is disingenuous as you have used estimated usage figures, despite me phoning to give you my actual consumption data. You suggest that there will be an increase of £24 pa but actual usage will cost 3 times this, wiping out the saving which I had anticipated making. I will continue with the switch giving you the benefit of the doubt that this will probably happen with other small providers too, but I hope you give your established customers more accurate information.

I'm in exactly the same situation. I saw no mention of a possible price increase when signing up to your supply...

but I hope you give your established customers more accurate information.

Existing customers were informed back in December that prices were likely to go up around March. They’ve always been pretty good with communication.

Quite a few good questions in this thread.

@guygamps@AndrewC, @mowcius, and @scudo answered your main question well. Our tariff is the same for every member. And it is cost-reflective. These two facts mean that a price increase affects new members along with every other member.

@Meaow you bring up a very tricky issue. You gave us usage figures. However, we also have official annual estimated gas and electricity usage for you, from industry partners Xoserve and Ecoes. We used these official estimates to produce the £24 figure. But I agree that it would have been better to use the figures you gave us. This is something we’ll think about - how we can store members’ usage figures when they differ from the ones Xoserve and Ecoes give us.