Switching to bulb with an unnecessary economy 7 meter - how to proceed?

Hello,

I have been with Bulb for almost a year, and am very pleased so far.

I have a friend who has been on a Scottish Power standard tariff for about 6 years, and is interested in switching as well.

I looked at their statements to calculate potential savings, and was amazed to find they are on an Economy 7 scheme. I checked their meter, and it is indeed a 2 dial mechanical electric meter.

They have no storage heaters, not even stored hot water (combi boiler is fitted). They did not know they were on Economy 7, and I can see no reason why they should be. Overnight usage is low.

So… ideally, they would switch to Bulb and have the mechanical economy 7 meter replaced with a standard smart meter.

Could you please advise how best to proceed with this? Should the meter be changed first, should they switch then try to get the meter changed? Who should they contact and what needs to be requested?

Many thanks

Ian

I’d say it’s best to contact current supplier to change meter prior to switching.

Some suppliers will accept night and day readings and add them together others insist on a new meter. I would like to know Bulb’s position as I am on economy 7 but might be better off on single rate. i don’t have night storage of any form but do run some electric heaters in the night in an annexe. I understand that if you don’t have 40% usage at night single rate is more economic.

ps I was with Together Energy based in Scotland. They took both night and day meter readings from me and charged a single rate of around 12 p per kWh. at the time.

ps I was with Together Energy based in Scotland. They took both night and day meter readings from me and charged a single rate of around 12 p per kWh. at the time.

Bulb charge different rates for the two time periods, they don’t add the two readings together. Please see: Switching to Bulb with an Economy 7 meter – Bulb