Switching To Bulb

Could you please advise if I need to cancel my Direct Debits with previous supplier and request a refund of credit or if Bulb act on my behalf.

Your old supplier will automatically close your account and refund you any credit balance. You don’t need to do anything. This could take up to six weeks after your switch is complete, since the meter readings you give on the switch date need to be somehow verified by a third party company/regulator.

Do not cancel the direct debit with your old supplier until they have confirmed your account is closed. If you do, it can cause even more delays in getting the credit refunded to you.

You can always cancel your Direct Debt (‘DD’), at any time and pay the final bill over the phone by card payment. I never trust companies with the last bill, as in my experience, if they charge you too much getting the money back can be somewhat more challenging compared to being a customer.

Typically companies do not cancel Direct Debits, but just keep the thing on file and never send a payment request to your bank, which is alarming on its own. That is why there is the possibility for you to cancel DD, to avoid certain poor practices.

Could you please advise if I need to cancel my Direct Debits with previous supplier and request a refund of credit or if Bulb act on my behalf.

Individuals on this forum have differing views as to whether or not to cancel DD.

Personally when I switched to Bulb from two of the big six suppliers I left my DD in place until they closed my accounts and refunded my credit back to my bank account. I had absolutely no problem from my two previous suppliers regarding this, once I had the refunds I closed the respective DD account. The reverse is also true, if you should find your account with your previous supplier is in debit then leaving the DD open means they can take recover the outstanding amount and then close your account with them.

This is the advice from Bulb: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001227691-Should-I-cancel-my-Direct-Debit-with-my-old-supplier-