switching to bulb

hi all
we bought a flat a year ago which had 2 meters

1. dedicated to hot water tank with a single rate
  2. for everything else with day and night rates
    so its 3 figures we have to provide to npower

can we switch to bulb with the current setup?
if not, what should we do?

we both work from home so night economy rates are useless to us, and we currently pay 26p/kw during a day to npower
thank you

Yes you can switch to Bulb, but because you have two meters you’ll have to pay two standing charges, one for each meter, even though it’s all just one electrical supply. The only way to avoid this is to get npower to rationalise your supply down to one meter before you switch. Bulb could do this for you as well but it’ll likely be cheaper if npower do it first.

we really dont undestand each other with npower, last time they advised us to call an electrition to rewire hot water tank

as far as I understand we are on E10 tariff, and one of the meters which is dedicated to hot water tank is switching on at particular times
not sure how this is controlled and will Bulb be able to use it if we decide to move as is

also I can see an offer from npower to install a Smart Meter, may be it will be easier route?

we really dont undestand each other with npower, last time they advised us to call an electrition to rewire hot water tank

npower are correct. You need to call an electrician to rewire the hot water tank, and put you into a situation where the second meter is no longer connected to anything at all (i.e., everything is connected to the primary dual-rate meter). At that point, you can contact npower and ask them to come and remove the meter that is no longer used for anything. npower wont help until you’ve sorted out your local side of the installation, since that’s your responsibility and nothing to do with the energy supplier.

as far as I understand we are on E10 tariff, and one of the meters which is dedicated to hot water tank is switching on at particular times not sure how this is controlled and will Bulb be able to use it if we decide to move as is

Bulb don’t support E10. The most they support is 8.5 off-peak hours. So if you switch to Bulb, your dual-rate meter will have both readings charged at the same single-rate tariff.

See:

also I can see an offer from npower to install a Smart Meter, may be it will be easier route?

Quite possibly. It would be interesting to see how they will handle the necessary re-wiring of your hot water tank, or whether you would still have to get that done yourself before they would swap everything for a smart meter.

Whatever you end up doing, please do come back here and let us know how it went because this is all very useful information for others on the same two-meter style setup.

I used to have a similar 3 rate 2 mpan meter when I switched to bulb I contacted them and a month ago Siemens fitted a single rate non smart meter. it cost me£120 for meter change and £60 for electrician to modify wiring on same day . Now waiting for bulb to ammend my account details so I can continue sending readings I should also get rid of 1 mpan and therefore 1 standing charge. Waiting time for meter change was 2 weeks and in fairness to bulb went very smoothly. I might have got previous supplier, EoN to change the meter for free but the way they tried to treat me I wanted out as soon as possible

Hi @paganini ,

Thanks for getting in touch about your meter and whether we can support it.

We certainly can take it on, but as @Hooloovoo says if it’s an E10 meter we’d have it on a single rate-tariff, which you may prefer, but there would be 2 standing charges to account for the 2 meter points. Npower could switch this to a single meter point before joining us and they may offer this as a free service, where we would charge around £120.

With regard to your hot-water tank, we would require and electrician to come out before us to re-wire it, our responsibility stays with the meters themselves, not the private property.

Hope this helps. But yes happy to have you on both meter points.

Best

Oisin

thank you all
we are now switching to bulb as is
just tried to talk to npower about removing second meter and wasted whole morning as they keep forwarding us to people who dont know anything