Tenant Moving Out


My father is currently the landlord of a property where the tenant is leaving, who was using Bulb.

To ensure the ownership of electricity payments is switched correctly, does the current tenant simply have to notify Bulb that he is leaving and would like to end payments.

And then my father should register an account with Bulb on the day that the tenant leaves to ensure the billing goes to my father correctly going forward?

When the new tenant moves in, do we simply just have to notify Bulb through the “moving out” process?


Yes to all.