Tesla and home charging

HI there

I am getting a quote for installation of a home charging point for the car. I have been told that
a. i should let you know that this is happening
b. that i should confirm that the electricity box outside the house should be confirmed as to whether it has 100amp capability. OTherwise, there is a small risk that if everything was turned on at home and the car was put to charge, we may overload the electricity. If it isnt 100amp then I am to contact you as our utility provider, to arrange an upgrade / update or give permission for our installation company to do it.

Can you help
heshan

1 Like

Hi Heshan,

We have a Tesla and not had any problems though I couldn’t tell you how many Amps our charger is (its a standard Tesla charger, silver box with the green light) it was professionally installed.

I would advise that you switch to Economy 7 for cheaper car charging at night if you don’t already have it. Also charging at night you’re less likely to have everything in the house on at the same time.

Regards

Steve

Hi @heshan

We have the standard Tesla Wall Connector (received free as part of a Powerwall 2 install), which was installed by Joju Solar, highly recommended them, they did a perfect install.

Though if you’ve got solar (larger than 4kW), may I recommend you look at the Zappi V2. The Tesla wall connector is dumb and can’t dynamically charge at the excess solar current you produce, which is usually exported to the grid. The Zappi V2 is also eligible for the government grant as it is smart.

Almost all home chargers are rated to charge up to a max of <32amps (7 kW). They are usually wired into your existing consumer unit, if there is space, and connected to a dedicated 32amp breaker. However, they can usually be reduced down to operate at <13amps (3 kW).

If you can check you’ve got a 100A fuse before your utility meter, you should be all good to contact an installer to do the job and should NOT need to contact Bulb. Joju asked us for a comprehensive set of photos of our utility meter, consumer unit and location where you wish to have the EV charger installed and will let you know if there are any issues.

As @0rinoco suggested, it would be more economical to move to a “Economy 7” style tariff. Bulb offers their smart tariff, with an off peak during the early morning. However, I recently moved away from Bulb and often pay less than 4p/kWh to charge and occasionally are paid to charge our EV image

Hi @heshan Thanks for your question :thinking: & welcome back to Bulb’s community :wave:

As has been suggested on previous comments, having a charging point installed shouldn’t overload the supply to your property. 100amp is the standard residential fuse capability, however to check if you’d need to upgrade yours, you’ll need to contact your area distributor. You can find who that is here https://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/electricity-distribution-map.html They should let you know if the meter tails will need upgrading after the amp capacity of the fuse, which is a job we’d then carry out.

You may also be interested in checking out our EV charger trial in this thread Thinking about an electric car? 🔌