Tesla has officially turned on their 100MWh battery facility in South Australia

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/01/south-australia-turns-on-teslas-100mw-battery-history-in-the-making

30k homes for an hour sounds like a pretty good buffer.

Now Elon can get back to getting his Gigafactory ‘on track’ along with sorting Tesla 3 production…, something about burning a candle at both ends. Meanwhile I’ll keep my Tesla 3 deposit where it is, who knows it may even appear in early 2019?

Now Elon can get back to getting his Gigafactory 'on track' along with sorting Tesla 3 production.................., something about burning a candle at both ends. Meanwhile I'll keep my Tesla 3 deposit where it is, who knows it may even appear in early 2019?
Heh, yeah they're maybe stretching themselves a little thinly at times.

Getting the gigafactory all complete and Model 3 pre-orders back on track isn’t as good publicity as completing the world’s largest battery though :lol:

@mowcius, OK so achieving a 100day project inside 60 days gets publicity which will presumably attract more orders the exact opposite of what he apparently wants for the Tesla 3. Can he handle more battery sales given the Gigafactory (or Gigafactory 1 as some are starting to call it) hasn’t yet been reported to be running at 100% and was reported a month ago as being a ‘bottleneck’. Just how long can you spend $1billion a quarter with a whole lot less coming in? I’d love to know what percentage of the risk Panasonic are carrying. It’s a fascinating story.

@mowcius, OK so achieving a 100day project inside 60 days gets publicity which will presumably attract more orders the exact opposite of what he apparently wants for the Tesla 3. Can he handle more battery sales given the Gigafactory (or Gigafactory 1 as some are starting to call it) hasn't yet been reported to be running at 100% and was reported a month ago as being a 'bottleneck'. Just how long can you spend $1billion a quarter with a whole lot less coming in? I'd love to know what percentage of the risk Panasonic are carrying. It's a fascinating story.

The bottleneck is putting the battery cells into modules, but they expect to have it automated in the coming weeks apparently. That should let them kick Model 3 production into high gear, which will get them a decent amount of money.