Thanks for the Dumb Meter

I used to submit my meter readings each month, no problem.
I now have a smart meter installed.
I just looked at my Bulb account online and again for the second month and it has my readings as “estimated”.
I cannot enter my readings online any longer… so this new system sucks.

Can I have the Smart Meter removed?

I used to submit my meter readings each month, no problem. I now have a smart meter installed. I just looked at my Bulb account online and again for the second month and it has my readings as "estimated". I cannot enter my readings online any longer... so this new system sucks.

Can I have the Smart Meter removed?

Was it Bulb who installed the meter, and if so did you come across any of the adverse comments prior to agreeing to have the meter?

Was it Bulb who installed the meter, and if so did you come across any of the adverse comments prior to agreeing to have the meter?

You keep asking this, I’m not sure I agree with your implications.

Whilst I’m a fan of caveat emptor in general, I don’t think it applies in this context. It’s not the customer’s responsibility to do their own research and ensure that the product owned and operated by the energy supplier is fit for purpose before it is installed.

If customers found this community forum to post their concerns how come their didn’t find this forum previously and see the multitude of comment on this forum about problems with smart meters?

If customers found this community forum to post their concerns how come their didn't find this forum previously and see the multitude of comment on this forum about problems with smart meters?

Human nature - people come here to complain, not to check for complaints.

Not that it’s their responsibility to check for issues surrounding supplier-owned equipment.

If customers found this community forum to post their concerns how come their didn't find this forum previously and see the multitude of comment on this forum about problems with smart meters?

Not that it’s their responsibility to check for issues surrounding supplier-owned equipment.

No but if I saw reports on TV that a certain brand of food was poisoning people I wouldn’t buy it! Extreme example I know.
I agree with @Allanr however
I think people should always check on reviews before buying something or in this case having things fitted

I think people should always check on reviews before buying something or in this case having things fitted

In general I agree, absolutely, but this case is different. You’re not buying something. The energy supplier is installing their property onto the service they run. Before anyone starts, yes I know about DNOs and infrastructure, but essentially everything is a service owned and operated by someone other than you up until the point the cables leave the meter. It’s none of my business and no customer should have any requirement to ensure any hardware is fit for purpose before it being installed.

Do you read reviews of what make of modem is installed in the green street-side cabinet at the end of your internet connection? Why not? It can make a different in speed and line stability as to what hardware they are running. It’s not your problem, that’s why not.

What about the type of pump that is in-line with your water supply? They might have bought something cheap and terrible that will quickly fail.

You’ll no doubt argue that these things are different just because they’re outside the property boundary. But they’re really no different. They’re things used as part of providing a service, that affect the quality of the service, over which the customer has no responsibility, but a complete expectation of the supplier doing their job properly.

When I tender out a job to a third party I’m paying them is to do work to a spec I’ve provided. I don’t expect to have to monitor everything they do, I expect to simply get a product at the end following a period of acceptance testing to ensure it does what it’s supposed to do. Here, a customer is paying for the job of providing a metered supply of energy. Acceptance testing has failed because the metering doesn’t work as specced. They doesn’t mean the customer has done anything wrong, or should have paid more attention to what components were being used.

I read reviews on any product I’m signing up to. My internet, my energy supplier etc included. My point is if I were now thinking of smart meters and all the reviews were from people that they weren’t up to scratch I would not have them changed over.

I can appreciate where you are coming from but I’m a little unclear as to what you would like to see happen?

Some posters are not even attempting to carry out an elementary check of previous posts to see if their query or concerns have been posed previously (generally the smart meter saga).

What is you expect Bulb to do about the smart meter debate on the basis you have said it isn’t for customers to check problem issues themselves?

I can appreciate where you are coming from but I'm a little unclear as to what you would like to see happen?

Some posters are not even attempting to carry out an elementary check of previous posts to see if their query or concerns have been posed previously (generally the smart meter saga).

What is you expect Bulb to do about the smart meter debate on the basis you have said it isn’t for customers to check problem issues themselves?

Are we conflating two issues here?

I don’t expect any customer to check this forum before having a smart meter installed.

I do expect them to check existing threads on this forum before posting a new thread when ranting about their useless smart meter.

Are we conflating two issues here?

I don’t expect any customer to check this forum before having a smart meter installed.

I do expect them to check existing threads on this forum before posting a new thread when ranting about their useless smart meter.

I’m not confusing the two issues.

Unless customers have opted out of the Forum then the problem on smart meter installation is viral on the forum and should have been obvious to anyone who was going to have a smart meter. On this basis they didn’t have to do much checking to find there are currently issues with smart meters.

As far as your second point, I’m totally in agreement with you.

Informative blog post regarding SMETS2 issues:
smart-meters-the-innovators-challenge

“Connecting with DCC has been challenging for early suppliers. Whilst DCC is carefully specified, it’s a very complex ecosystem. Connected to a meter is a comms hub. there are two comms hubs (one for “the North” and one for “the South” as there are different networks in each), the comms hubs talk to DCC who talk to a “connector” (another company) which then talks to a supplier. There are dozens (maybe hundreds) of “messages” each of which need to get through this infrastructure. There’s a lot of security which means we don’t get the sorts of diagnostics you’d get in most systems - so things either work or they don’t, and fixing things is very much “trial and error”. Every energy supplier has a different combination of meter manufacturer, connector, software system, installer, etc. so there are no “right answers”.”

As a result they’ve stopped taking bookings for SMETS2 installs until they’ve sorted the issues out. I’d say you either need to warn people there may be issues for the next x months, or pause the rollout until you’ve fixed it. But Bulb know more details than I do, plus there may be financial penalties if they don’t install x number of meters…

We’ve currently paused taking new smart installation appointments as we begin a more controlled SMETS2 rollout over the next few months.

Unless customers have opted out of the Forum then the problem on smart meter installation is viral on the forum and should have been obvious to anyone who was going to have a smart meter. On this basis they didn't have to do much checking to find there are currently issues with smart meters.

I rather suspect that the vast majority of customers never look at the forum/community operated by any energy supplier in any country.

To the point, they shouldn’t need to. They’re not selecting what product they want to buy. They should be able to trust the supplier to be installing functioning infrastructure.

There’s a lot of security which means we don’t get the sorts of diagnostics you’d get in most systems - so things either work or they don’t, and fixing things is very much “trial and error”.

Speaking as someone that writes secure APIs for connecting various automated/robotic/IoT/etc. stuff together, this statement makes no sense. Secure doesn’t mean no diagnostics.

Every energy supplier has a different combination of meter manufacturer, connector, software system, installer, etc. so there are no “right answers”."

Isn’t this precisely what the DCC is for? To take all the different systems and present a unified API to the energy suppliers?

It all sounds a bit of a shambles. I think most of it can be defined simply as: Because Capita.

Look at this way… if you were buying a car you might look at reviews, but you wouldnt think to yourself, I wonder if this new car will actually start up and go down the road - you take that for granted. Not so for smart meter rollouts.

Hi @dandare

Sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with your estimated readings.

If you haven’t already, would you be able to let us know via email, phone or chat please? We will raise this issue with our smart team and they can work on getting this fixed for you.

If you want more information on the issues we are having with the new smart meters, and what we are doing about it, one of our bulberinos have put together a great article: https://bulb.co.uk/blog/an-update-on-our-smart-installations

In the meantime, we are happy to take meter readings via email, phone or chat. If you need some help readings your new smart meter, here’s another great information article: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001232832-How-do-I-read-my-meter-