This Winter’s Warm Home Discount Opening 27 October 2020

Hi Community.

I am Rosie from the Warm Home Discount team :wave:

We have an update on this winter’s Warm Home Discount announcing:

• Our Broader Group opening date
  • Our new criteria
  • Information about our Core Group members getting contacted by the Department for Work and Pensions

Our Opening Date for the Broader Group:

We’re opening applications on 27 October 2020. Members who have registered their interest will be contacted about this ahead of time to ensure they’re aware of the opening date, by email or post depending on their communication preference on their Bulb account. You will be able to apply on 27 October 2020 using this link.

Core Group information:

You can get the Warm Home Discount with Bulb as part of the Core Group if both of the following apply:

• you joined Bulb on or before 5 July 2020
  • you get the Guaranteed Credit element of Pension Credit

You will get the £140 payment by 31 March 2021. :money_with_wings:

The Department for Work and Pensions will send you a letter between October and December 2020 to let you know if you need to do anything to get the payment. :postbox:

Payment information:

If you pay for your energy monthly by Direct Debit, we’ll add the discount as credit to your Bulb account.

If you top up your meters, we’ll send you a Post Office voucher, with instructions for adding it to your meter.

All payments to eligible members will be made before 31 March 2021. :date:

Our New Criteria:

We are expanding our criteria to include these benefits this year :raised_hands::

• the Guarantee element of Pension Credit, if you weren’t with Bulb on 5th July 2020 and your previous supplier didn’t offer the Warm Home Discount
  • Council Tax Reduction with a total annual household income of £16,190 or less
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • War Pension Scheme: Mobility Supplement (WPMS) or War Pension Scheme: Constant Attendance Allowance (CAA)
  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Armed Forces Guaranteed Income Payment
  • Armed Forces Pension Scheme

These were not offered previously, and may not be offered by other suppliers as part of the Warm Home Discount Scheme! :star_struck:

Can’t upload documents to your Broader Group application:

If you’re not sure what information is needed to complete your Broader Group application, or want to check our criteria, you can find more information to see if you’re eligible on our Help Centre. :hugs:

If you’re struggling to upload your documents to your application, you can get support completing your application over the phone. Please call us on 0808 164 8755 between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.

Please note that we will need you to post in your documents if you’re completing your application over the phone. An application is only completed after the documents have been uploaded (at our end or yours) so please make sure you have them to hand, to upload or post to us. We award our spaces on a first-come-first-served basis as members complete their applications.

2 Likes

help got warm home discount last year no problems no forms etc but this year being asked to send proof in now?

1 Like

Hi,
Had an interesting conversation deleted because it didn’t reflect very well on Bulb.
It was about the Bulb site stating the following

*** Additional eligibility criteria***

The additional eligibility criteria are:

**** you’re responsible for a child aged 16 or younger who normally lives with you***
**** you’re aged 65 or older***
**** you get any UK armed forces benefit or pension***
**** you get a disabled child premium***
**** you get a disability premium, enhanced disability premium or severe disability premium (this includes Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment and Attendance Allowance)***
**** you get a pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium***
**** you get the ‘limited capability for work’ or ‘limited capability for work and work-related activity’ element of Universal Credit***
**** you get the disabled child element of Universal Credit***
**** you get the disability or severe disability element of Child Tax Credit***
**** you get the Carer’s Premium or Carer’s Allowance for someone in your home***
**** you get the disability or severe disability element of Working Tax Credit***

The application form does not have the option to tick for PIP.
Did not get any sense from Alvina earlier so can anybody give any additional info on this .
Thanks in advance.
Sonia.

1 Like

Hi,

I want to apply for the warm home discount and know I qualify, but I wont have the required documentation until the 10th of November. As it’s first come first serve I’m worried this may be too late? Would documentation proof for October be acceptable?

Many Thanks,

Ewan

Use screen grabs,or “print to PDF” or photo your documents & upload them,get the folks that are telling you that you cannot have evidence until 10th. of November to send it by e-mail,then copy & paste.The folks that are making you wait until 10th. of November,if their car broke down,or their tap started leaking water,would they wait so long? BA**ARDS,GOOD LUCK,Regards,Ray

1 Like

I am 72 years old and been receiving warm home discount for the last five years, i receive the higher rate of DLA and am disabled. I have applied today and told i do not qualify. The criteria appears to have been changed by Bulb. I have been on chat but do not get a response after waiting 40 minutes.

I don’t believe this!
I am on Universal Credit, without any other income, living on minimum.
I am one of the low income people & this benefit is supposed to be for people on low income
and I am not allowed to claim Warm Home Discount with Bulb.
I am also on full Council Tax benefit as no other money coming in & still not allowed to claim Warm Home Discount.

I was under the impression that these kind of benefits were for people just like me.

If I don’t pay my electric & gas bill in the next few months, you can take this as I have frozen to death this winter.

Should I now stop claiming Universal Credit & have absolutely nothing as my income, will I then qualify?

The application form gave me the option of PIP, I believe it was on the second page

Thats correct but you have to get passed the first page and that tells me i dont qualify despite being able to qualify for the last five years. I am 72 years old, disabled and get the higher rate of DLA. I have been on chat but get no reply

Hi @srpayne.sp, were you applying through Bulb last year too? Different suppliers can have different processes but we will need you to supply evidence as this is an Ofgem requirement.

@Ewan, if you have the necessary documentation dated for this month rather than next then that will be absolutely fine :+1:

@ralphdavison4 and @volvo , do you also receive both low income support and are eligible with other eligibility criteria? You will also need to have both to be eligible. You can read the eligibility on our help page.

Can I apply for home warmth discount

Hi @itsbillytheshit,

You can find out if you’re eligible for the Warm Home Discount by taking a look at this page: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360034712312.

You’ll need to be in receipt of one of the low income benefits, and also meet one of the additional eligibility criteria.

If you do, you can sign up here: https://account.bulb.co.uk/warm-home-discount

I dont receive the low income support but i am 72 years old and receive the higher rate of DLA and i have received the discount for the last five years. Bulb this year have for some reason changed the criteria

This is what I get with no option of PIP

You only need to select one benefit, even if you get more than one.

Income Support

Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) with the support or work-related activity component

Tax credit (including Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit), and your annual household income is less than £16,190

Universal Credit (UC), and your monthly earnings are less than £1,349

Savings element of Pension Credit

Housing Benefit, and your annual household income is less than £16,190

Council Tax Reduction, and your annual household income is less than £16,190

None of these

Hi Lou,

Thanks for the reply, I’ll use October documents.

Cheers,

Ewan

Hello @Sonia

To apply for the broader group, you do need to be eligible for one of both:

If you have any other queries please let us know

As soon as I log in it says “can not find account”.
But when I go to community I’m logged in but when I click a link it says it “can’t find my account” again.
I’m at a loss

Hi,
My partner who lives with me will be entitled to the discount but the account is in my name only. Will this cause any problems?
Kind regards

nice so single people on low incomes who have no children, have been refused any other support for their help are to suffer and get left in the cold.

you say its linked to low income then what o you call living off universal credit £80 per week.

what a joke . i will be changing providers .

Unfortunately all suppliers follow the same rules. I feel for you.