Too high energy usage

I have recently moved both gas and electricity to bulb due to their lower tariffs (and a promise of an estimated £400 saving py)

Through the process, they said we were using 2.5* the amount of energy as compared to a similar household. I’ve always expected we pay too much but 2.5* is ridiculous. I’ve feel the electricity is the cause but I’ll break it all down.

Electricity
We reno’d and replaced all wiring, all bulbs are energy efficient and appliances are A+++ for the majority. Hot water tank is insulated. Usage on the appliances I’d estimate at about 1* 2 hr cycle per day.

Gas
All the heating runs on gas and we use the timer religiously (1hr in the morning and 1 hr in the afternoon). Temp is normally set to 18 - 20 degrees. Towel rails are almost always on and set to react to ambient temperature (18-20). The reno replaced the majority of our windows and insulated our loft. All the radiators have reflective backings.

I want to know how to identify what is causing the high usage. It feels like there might be a fault in the wiring but I just don’t know how to determine if that’s the case; any help appreciated

Hi @Hollaab ,

Just to double check - re these usage calculations based on actual meter readings (and logged as such on the bills) or estimates? And is it both utilities ‘higher than expected’? If you can provide a monthly example usage (i.e. the number of kWh used in January), we’ll be able to comment how that reflects to other users - the size/occupantancy of your house will help (i.e. ‘2 bedroom flat, gas central heating, occupied 24/7’ vs ‘5 bedroom, 8 occupant detached house with electric car, pool, and most people working 9-5’)

Why use electricity for hot water if gas is available?

Why use electricity for hot water if gas is available?

“Hot water tank is insulated”, No mention of electricity being used .to heat the water.

“Hot water tank is insulated”, No mention of electricity being used .to heat the water.

I assume logically if “Hot water tank is insulated” is shown under Electricity then electricity would be used to heat the water , otherwise what would be the alternative reason for the OP mentioning the tank?