Top up payments

When are the top up account balance money taken?, is it taken straight away or is it taken along with the usual monthly payment?.

If you top up your account balance from the payment details page then it’s taken from your card almost immediately.

Thank you mowcius, how do I set up my debit card details with bulb as at the moment I only have the dd details set up, it would be so much easier to take top up payments from my debit card and just use dd for my usual monthly payments.

Ahh, there might be a difference if you have DD set up for normal payments. I currently pay via debit card payments for my leccy rather than DD and when I request a top-up, it then comes straight from my card.

I’ll leave it to someone from Bulb to clarify.

OK mowcius,thank you for your help, I will see if I can change it to debit card payment as that seems easier than waiting for the DD to come out.

@Fatboyjim59 I’ve just tested the Top up facility to see what happens when you pay by DD (which I do). and want to top up. You don’t specify your card details, as you say, but the money was credited to my Bulb account immediately.

@“Will at Bulb” This needs to be improved. Customers should be able to enter the debit card that they want to use for the top up payment - it may not necessarily be the same card that you hold details of. I’ve not encountered this method before and it seems to be a very strange way to do things - not simpler, which I predict is your justification for the process, but downright poor.

This needs to be improved. Customers should be able to enter the debit card that they want to use for the top up payment - it may not necessarily be the same card that you hold details of. I've not encountered this method before and it seems to be a very strange way to do things - not simpler, which I predict is your justification for the process,, but downright poor.
Not entirely sure that @"Will at Bulb" is responsible for everything at Bulb, as much as he might be mostly responsible for the forums!

I wonder if it’s to make PCI compliance easier in some way, although they presumably have to be completely compliant for the website anyway as you enter card details when signing up.

I do agree that being able to see (part) details of the card that they have on file, and being able to change this as required would be nice. If I’m topping up, it would ideally be from my spending card (Monzo, to give greater visibility), rather than the account that my bills currently go out of.

It’s not Will’s responsibility at all but he can ensure that the right person gets the message (and who better to complain to?!).

A customer may not be able to afford to make a top up payment from the bank account that Bulb has details of, and either wants to use another account of their own or someone else is going to help them out. Neither of these options is possible with the current set up. It’s useful to be able to make a one-off payment from a card that isn’t stored.

Also, when I decided to try it I wasn’t exactly certain what was going to happen. Would I be given an opportunity to give details of my card (as is normal) on the next page or would the money just be taken from my DD account? The latter happened.

I think the process should be improved.

I agree there should be a facility to top up with any debit card as I think this would be easier, as I work out my bill every month and may want to top up especially in the winter when usage is more,I hope bulb look into this and make this facility available.

Morning all, I’ve just had a chat with our tech team to get more clued in on this.

If you pay by Direct Debit, when you top up we request a new payment from your bank. It then takes a few days for it to go through. Apparently, this shows in MyBulb as already being in your account, even when it’s still pending. Which isn’t ideal. It wouldn’t show on your statement until it’s actually been processed, though. I realise that this doesn’t give the member accurate information when they need it, so I’ll raise this and look into improving it.

@xxx the reason we don’t have a feature where you can choose which card to top us with is that no one has asked for it so far. Now that you have, I can see that it would be useful, so we’ll see what we can do.

Also, I’m very happy to be mentioned about anything. It’s my job to help the community get what they need. And even if I don’t know the answer myself, I can find out easily.

Thanks, Will - I knew you were the man for the job!

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

It would be great to have the feature where you can choose which card to top up with. You state we’ll see what we can do any idea when?

@Adlams At the moment, we think most of the time the top up payment will be from the payment method on the account, but we can take a one off payment from another card over the phone.

Rob

I also pay by direct debit and made a top up payment on 21st December which has still not been debited from my bank account. Like others I expected to make the top up payment using my debit card so was very surprised to see there is not an option to do that.

@Fairmaid It can take up to 5 working days for a direct debit payment to be processed, and with the bank holidays it looks like it is still being processed and you should see it leave your bank in a day or two - if it doesn’t, then let us know.

We take top-up payments from the direct debit to keep thing simpler, but we can always take a card payment over the phone if you like.