transfer of old FIT to Bulb from npower

I have an early FIT (2011) installation. I want to transfer my supply from npower to Bulb. I have been told by Ofgen that as Bulb are a ‘Mandatory FIT licensee’, I am not allowed to keep FIT with npower and transfer only supply to Bulb. Both Supply and FIT must be transferred to Bulb. So spoke to Bulb, and was told I would need my system checked and a new MSC certificate was needed (newer than 2015). He said it was really to check system was OK. I have now spoken to MSC and original installer, and have been told by both that the MSC certificate is only for the original 2011 installation. Both also have said, you should not really require the system to be checked over (This would actually cost £350 from original installer to have it checked and a new ‘test’ certificate issued by them, but they also re-iterated that it was not really necessary if it is generating on the meter).
So, confused and surprised how difficult it is turning out to swap suppliers. I need to make sure that Bulb will honour my 2011 Tariff and don’t want any headaches if I start the swap over process.

EDIT: Just read the reason…My FIT is with one company, my supply is with another, both are mandatory FIT licensee’s…

“A Feed-In Tariff is simply a standard subsidy paid out by most energy companies (certainly all the big ones). The company that pays your subsidy is known as your FIT licensee, and they don’t need to be the same as your energy supplier. You can have separate contracts for your energy supply and your FIT payments.”

“So switching energy supplier with solar panels doesn’t need to affect your FIT contract at all. Your old supplier can still be your FIT licensee and carry on paying you the same rate.”

https://ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/switching-energy-suppliers-with-solar-panels.html

Did you try just signing up to Bulb for supply and someone has told you you need to switch FIT too?

Or did you try finding out via OFGEM first? If so, I think you can safely ignore their advice and just sign up with Bulb for your supply…your FIT should be unaffected and is a separate contract.

I spoke to Ofgem directly. Response below:

Thank you for your query to the Renewables Team.

When switching your home energy supplier, please be aware of the following rules:

• If you are switching your home energy supplier from one mandatory FIT licensee to another mandatory FIT licensee you will then also need to make that same new licensee your FIT payment provider.
    o E.g. E.ON provides your FIT payments and your domestic energy (i.e. from the grid), but you wish to switch your energy supply to British Gas and keep your FIT payment provider as E.ON – This would not be possible. Instead, you would need to switch both your energy supply and FIT payment provider to British Gas.

• If you are switching your home energy supplier from one mandatory FIT licensee to a voluntary FIT licensee you will be able retain the mandatory FIT licensee as your FIT payment provider.
    o E.g. E.ON provides your FIT payments and your domestic energy (i.e. from the grid), but you wish to switch your energy supply to Good Energy and keep your FIT payment provider as E.ON – This would be possible.

A list of mandatory and voluntary licences can be found here.

I hope this has been helpful, however if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

as both Npower and Bulb appear on the list as ‘Mandatory FIT Licensee’, that means (according to Offgem), that I need to transfer both supply and FIT

Well, in practice they’re separate contracts and I’ve switched one without the other without issue.

ok, you are probably right. I’ll switch npower supply to Bulb, and then wait for npower to complain about still having to pay me for FIT generation. Not sure how they (npower) could ever know whether I’ve moved to a ‘mandatory’ or ‘voluntary’ FIT licensee, so easiest just to continue with npower until they complain. By the way, who are you with (now only for the FIT)

ok, you are probably right. I'll switch npower supply to Bulb, and then wait for npower to complain about still having to pay me for FIT generation. Not sure how they (npower) could ever know whether I've moved to a 'mandatory' or 'voluntary' FIT licensee, so easiest just to continue with npower until they complain. By the way, who are you with (now only for the FIT)

Good Energy FIT only.

am with British gas for fit and have just moved over to bulb, all the above information is correct , you don’t need to switch fit , the price of fit is set by ofgem anyways so there no benefit in moving over .
You can have separate contracts for your energy supply and your FIT payments.
will let you know how I get on over the next year as I will be staying with British gas for fit