Transferring solar p.v. registration for FiT

We have solar photovoltaic panels installed, and are registered for FiT with n.power, our current supplier. My understanding is that it is normal to be registered with the supplier, but I do not know if this is mandatory. I am no expert, but was told that not all energy suppliers are involved in FiT: are you?

We have also been advised, some time ago, that it is technically possible to transfer the registration, but that this tends to be problematic. Do you have experience in doing this?

Hi @jeremy

A Feed in Tariff is actually similar to a normal energy tariff, except roles are reversed. You provide the energy and the energy company pays you for it. Everyone who has a Feed in Tariff will be signed up with a supplier like this.

It’s very possible to change your FiT, again it’s pretty similar to just changing your normal tariff. You contact the supplier you would like to switch to and they’ll help you switch.

Bulb doesn’t currently do a FiT, but it’s high up on our To Do list. Once we’ve got that sorted out you will be able to switch your FiT to us.

Hope that helps,

Will

Doesn’t quite answer the question though. Do you have to have you FiT contract with the same firm as your supplier?

@angusg no, you don’t need to have your FiT with the same supplier as your electricity and gas.

I am thinking about installing Solar panels, and I am a new Bulb customer. Please tell me Bulb does the FiT now? Thanks

@jeremy I have been wanting to speak to someone who has Solar installed already. Be great if we could have a chat?

Hi @nazrul! Bulb isn’t a Feed in Tariff (FiT) licensee at the moment, however, it’s completely fine to have one supplier manage your FiT readings and payments, whilst another manages your ‘import’ supply from the grid - ie. Bulb.

Here’s a list of suppliers that are either mandatory or voluntary FiT licensees that you could look at if you’re thinking about getting solar panels: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/fit/contacts-guidance-and-resources/fit-licensee-contact-details

Let us know if we can help with anything else :slight_smile:

This item was high on your to do list in February 2016, What has happened.
A number of the ‘green’ electricity suppliers already have voluntary FIT licences, so it is obviously possible to do,
Please hurry up as I don’t really want to have 2 separate contracts for supply and export of my electricity.
Cheers

Hi @graham2916, you make a strong point.

The problem is that growth in our core business of supplying homes has been really strong the past few months, and we’re focusing almost all our energy on making sure we keep this part of our business solid.

I was just about to organise swapping my energy to you, but as I already have solar panels it is unclear to me how this would work - I don’t want to have to juggle two accounts. However if I swap to a cheaper tariff with my existing supplier I will have an exit fee if I subsequently switch to you, when you are registered for FIT. Have you any idea how soon I might be able to switch to you.

Hi @mskea, I think FiT is at least a few months off. If you’re averse to having two different accounts, I recommend waiting until we’ve got FiT set up. This could coincidentally and conveniently be about the same time that your new cheaper tariff with your existing supplier will end.

Also pertinent: we reimburse people’s previous supplier’s exit fees.

Hi Bulb, it’s 8 months since the last update in this thread - I note Bulb is now on the Voluntary FIT Licensee list!

1. What is the difference between Mandatory and Voluntary Licenses?
  2. Is Bulb ready and accepting FIT registrations?
  3. Having just had solar panels installed, as a Bulb energy customer, how quick is registration with Bulb?

My installer has provided instructions to register with Good Energy but I’d rather consolidate my import and export with Bulb if possible.

Thanks,
Rishi

Hello there!

Yes, exciting times here at Bulb. We’ve just launched our FiT beta, you can register and give us feedback on how to make this better when it fully rolls out.

Bulb is a Voluntary FIT Licensee from April 2018-March 2019. This means we have “opted-in” to offering FIT payments, but we offer it to our members only. From April 2019 onwards, we expect to be a Mandatory FIT Licensee. This means we are obligated to offer FIT payments, not only to our members, but also the customers of any electricity supplier that is not a Mandatory FIT Licensee.

We are accepting sign-ups now, fill out this form - and we’ll get back to you.

As this is a beta we’ll let you know dates etc once we know your exact FiT situation.

Best,

Rory

Bumping this up by a year: has Bulb become a mandatory licensee, now, as expected? And in terms of transferring, I’m still not clear whether that’s possible – the FITs sign up page appears to be on the basis of a new installation, rather than transferring an existing one. Our PVs were installed by our predecessor, for example, and so are older than the earliest date (15/01/2016) on the sign-up page…

Bumping this up by a year: has Bulb become a mandatory licensee, now, as expected? And in terms of transferring, I'm still not clear whether that's possible -- the FITs sign up page appears to be on the basis of a new installation, rather than transferring an existing one. Our PVs were installed by our predecessor, for example, and so are older than the earliest date (15/01/2016) on the sign-up page...

Yes, they’re now mandatory licencee’s. I believe this means they have to accept transfers of FIT’s.

https://ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/fit/contacts-guidance-and-resources/fit-licensee-contact-details

Hi @tbob, Ben here from the FIT team, as @phproxy says we’re a mandatory supplier. All you need to do is go to this link: https://account.bulb.co.uk/fit-sign-ups and open a new application and select I’m switching rather than I’m registering a new installation.

Hope that helps

cheers @“Ben at Bulb”, that’s very helpful – application all sent through. You might want to get someone to have another look at the wording on that first splash page, though: I had to tick a box to say my installation was after a certain date to get through it, even though it wasn’t…

Hey @tbob

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve passed it over to the FIT team