UPDATE: We’ve started installing smart meters in our members’ homes.

Hi @antony5962

That’s right - smart meters in your area of the UK communicate using a radio network operated by a mobile carrier. We’ve recently learned that the network coverage is not quite as strong as we once thought. Our members have been really helpful in feeding this back to us.

Until this network has been improved, we won’t be able to communicate with your smart meter. I’m sorry about that.

We’re currently talking to the network carrier to see how we can get this fixed and get your smart meters up and running. We’re not sure how long it will take to achieve this, but we’ll be in touch as soon as we’re able to get your meters on the network.

Sorry that it took until the installation to find this out.

Let us know if you have any further questions for now.

Morning, are you able to check how far off my area is for smart meters being installed please? :slight_smile:

Are all SMETS1 going to be readable by Bulb now? I see the “Make SMETS1 meters both compatible and readable” pin on the trello board was moved to complete? If so will we be able to sign up to the smart tariff with a SMETS1 meter, and if so, when? I tried back in December but you weren’t able to read my meter, would it be any different now or in the near future?

Morning, I’m a new customer to bulb and signed up to get smart meter installed, do you happen to know when it will be in my area?
Cheers

I’ve recently left bulb as I wanted smart meters installed, now I have them installed, I’m just wondering when it is possible to come back to bulb but on smart meter?

Morning, are you able to check how far off my area is for smart meters being installed please? :)
Morning, I'm a new customer to bulb and signed up to get smart meter installed, do you happen to know when it will be in my area? Cheers

Hi all,

I’m afraid we don’t have a definitive list. As long as your signed up to the smart meter waiting list and we have signal and engineer availability in your area then we’ll get in touch when we can install in your area.

@ljp123 We check to see if we can read a members meter when they sign up for smart tariff. If we couldn’t read it in December, this unfortunately will still be the case until summer. We’ve figure out how to read around 30% of SMETS1 meters and those that we can’t read once the change has been made later this year, we’ll invite to get SMETS2 meters installed.

Got a smart meter installed on Friday…Engineer shows it all working and I went to work after the install, when returning home the smart hub wasn’t receiving any data!

The booklet is very spare - doesn’t give any information on troubleshooting.

I have had the same issue Matt - installed Wednesday, engineer said it would start getting data in 24 hours… nothing. Have dropped BULB an email, but not had a reply yet.

Is there a phone number for Bulb so I can talk to someone? Engineer said I should call…

I had a smart meter fitted Friday. Since then the display has constantly said ‘waiting data’ and in the last hour it is beeping every few seconds and flipping between screens madly!. I wasn’t left an instruction booklet. Help!

A few days ago an engineer fitted my Bulb smart meter which replaced a British Gas version.
Neither have provided an electricity reading. Only gas.
Bulb do know about the problem but nothing heard for a few days.

Heya @Matt74 @Richy_Boy @EmmaW and @JohnF

Thanks for letting us know. We’ll need to do some further troubleshooting to understand the reasons for each of your cases.

To help us get this sorted, we’ll need the following:

Photo of the IHD
Is the IHD showing electricity data or are both not appearing?
Did the IHD ever display meter readings?
If it did, how long did it show for before the error?

You can post below or drop us an email to hello@bulb.co.uk and the smart team will look into this.

Best,
Eleanor

Hi, we had a smart meter installed on 11th March (for electricity only, as hardware was not available for the gas), but it has never shown any details. The engineer had trouble connecting it to your network and said it would update soon, but nothing has happened in over a week. What should I do?

Thanks for the photo @NiknikC

I’ll send this over to the smart team who will investigate!

Isn’t everybody just basically sending the same photo? How does this help?

Isn't everybody just basically sending the same photo? How does this help?

It’s what the smart team has asked for. In most cases the meters say “waiting for data” but there are other error messages too. A picture can help us identify the problem quicker and get things fixed.

[Edited] It also allows us to see signal strength to advise if the IHD might need moving.

Hi. I’ve had the smart meter installed a few weeks ago now but wasn’t given an in home display. Do you know when these will be back in stock?

Hi. I've had the smart meter installed a few weeks ago now but wasn't given an in home display. Do you know when these will be back in stock?

Sorry I can’t answer your actual query but apparently there is a shortage of home display units (this is from another thread from memory).

Hi @“Eleanor at Bulb” .

Ours is showing gas only and has never shown electricity since being installed. Here’s a photo of my IHD.

Paul

Would love a new gen smart meter to be fitted. Hopefully ours is installed soon!

@Meganeward as far as I know, there is no shortage of IHDs. I’ll have to check with the smart team about that. In the meantime, I’ve asked for them to send you one.

@paulj cheers for the picture. I have let the team know that your IHD is only showing [EDITED ] gas. They will need to investigate from this end.

@Defaultrt have you signed up to the smart meter waiting list yet? Once signed up, we’ll let you know when we can come to install the smart meter :slight_smile: