UPDATE: We’ve started installing smart meters in our members’ homes.

We have emailed Ofgem to clarify some of these points. We’ll keep you updated and please nudge me if I don’t get back to you quick enough!

So to clarify, Bulb’s not currently looking at an Export tariff (independent of whatever the means of generation/supply is) and is only currently looking at a FiT?

I imagine flexible export tariffs to assist with grid balancing are the future but I guess we’re not there yet.

On the topic of colocation with battery storage, yes Ofgem confirmed households with colocation that meet certain criteria can still receive FIT generation and export payments.

However, this is un-related to the calculation of FIT export payments.

I have attached a picture of paragraph 4.5 on page 22 of the Ofgem colocation guidance:

[UPDATED]

We don’t recognize the position that the Solar Trade Association has taken in their article, because it is at odds with the supplier guidance.

We will contact Ofgem and provide further clarity on this when we have it.

The article supplied seems at odds with what you are saying, at least for small installations. 4.5 says we can’t get the deemed export rate only if we have an installation greater than 30 kW, which I doubt many if any residential installations will be.

So to clarify, Bulb's not currently looking at an Export tariff (independent of whatever the means of generation/supply is) and is only currently looking at a FiT?

I imagine flexible export tariffs to assist with grid balancing are the future but I guess we’re not there yet.

This topic is more around the setup for existing installations, whatever new installations get in the future is different.

This topic is more around the setup for existing installations, whatever new installations get in the future is different.
Well, the thread as a whole is about the installation of Smart Meters, but I get that you were discussing existing FiT installations.

My query was independent of your discussion.

Just out of interest, has anyone in Scotland received notification of Smart Meter Installation? I realise that installation is contingent on a suitable installer being available in the area. I had had my name down on the Smart Meter list very very early on, and just wondering if there were any issues around the availability of installers in Scotland?

@willsh, one member at least has had an installation in Scotland (and had issues) so I’d presume others have also occurred.

Just out of interest, has anyone in Scotland received notification of Smart Meter Installation?

I’m in Central Scotland and got the email saying I could book an installation. I wasn’t on the waiting list beforehand. I booked a slot but reading other threads on the forum, I’m now wondering if I should cancel and wait a bit until any ‘teething’ issues are resolved.

Just out of interest, has anyone in Scotland received notification of Smart Meter Installation?

I’m in Central Scotland and got the email saying I could book an installation. I wasn’t on the waiting list beforehand. I booked a slot but reading other threads on the forum, I’m now wondering if I should cancel and wait a bit until any ‘teething’ issues are resolved.

I’d just get it booked. The only people who generally come on here are people with issues. Most installs will have gone smoothly.

I can’t remember if i signed up to the waiting list, is there any harm in adding myself again incase I haven’t?

Is Cardiff on the initial list at all? :slight_smile:

I'm in Central Scotland and got the email saying I could book an installation. I wasn't on the waiting list beforehand. I booked a slot but reading other threads on the forum, I'm now wondering if I should cancel and wait a bit until any 'teething' issues are resolved.
I'd just get it booked. The only people who generally come on here are people with issues. Most installs will have gone smoothly.
Agreed. Even if there are some signal/connectivity issues - the physical hardware is unlikely to need changing to fix it (or if it is, only the communications hub) so at least the part where your power is switched off will be done sooner rather than later.

Thanks @phproxy and @mowcius. I was thinking that if others were having problems, then I’d rather defer than have to arrange a second engineer visit. However if it’s just likely to be a communications issue and/or still having to supply meter readings manually, then as you said I may as well keep the appointment. Thanks.

We have emailed Ofgem to clarify some of these points. We'll keep you updated and please nudge me if I don't get back to you quick enough!

We’ve been in contact with Ofgem and here’s what they said.

Where it is possible to measure the amount of energy being exported exclusively from a FIT installation, suppliers are obligated to make export payments based on metered export readings.

Ofgem has clarified that accredited FIT installations with a Total installed capacity of 30kW or less may receive deemed export payments, where it is not possible or practical for the FIT installation’s export to be measured via an export meter.

If a FIT installation is connected to battery storage, this may affect the supplier’s ability to measure how much energy is being exported onto the grid solely from the FIT installation.

For example, a person’s battery storage could be charged from the grid as well as from the FIT installation, and some of the stored energy may be used in the person’s home. In this case, a supplier would not be able to tell how much of the exported energy is from the FIT installation alone, so export payments would have to be deemed.

However, if a person’s battery storage can only be charged by the FIT installation (i.e. it has been separated from the grid by an inverter), a supplier would know that all energy exported from the property was from the FIT installation.

@mowcius we are in the early stages of putting together an export tariff. You can read a little more about it on our blog.

We have emailed Ofgem to clarify some of these points. We'll keep you updated and please nudge me if I don't get back to you quick enough!

We’ve been in contact with Ofgem and here’s what they said.

Where it is possible to measure the amount of energy being exported exclusively from a FIT installation, suppliers are obligated to make export payments based on metered export readings.

Ofgem has clarified that accredited FIT installations with a Total installed capacity of 30kW or less may receive deemed export payments, where it is not possible or practical for the FIT installation’s export to be measured via an export meter.

If a FIT installation is connected to battery storage, this may affect the supplier’s ability to measure how much energy is being exported onto the grid solely from the FIT installation.

For example, a person’s battery storage could be charged from the grid as well as from the FIT installation, and some of the stored energy may be used in the person’s home. In this case, a supplier would not be able to tell how much of the exported energy is from the FIT installation alone, so export payments would have to be deemed.

However, if a person’s battery storage can only be charged by the FIT installation (i.e. it has been separated from the grid by an inverter), a supplier would know that all energy exported from the property was from the FIT installation.

@mowcius we are in the early stages of putting together an export tariff. You can read a little more about it on our blog.

Thanks for the clarification, that’s more a long the lines of what I expected.

I got the email yesterday to book an appointment. Logged in to book only to be told it’s a poor signal area. Why send out the email if I still can’t get one?

Thanks for letting us know @WallaceEMann

We shouldn’t send you an email if there’s poor signal in your area. We’ll get this fixed ASAP!

Sorry for the confusion.

Any estimates for Norfolk?

I’ve just moved over to Bulb from OVO and awaiting the transfer. I was looking at the various pages on your website and found this thread. I already have smart meters installed and the house is a rental. A condition of the rental agreement is that the meters cannot be replaced (unless of course they fail for example). How does this affect your smart meter rollout? Can’t you just use the existing smart meters?

I've just moved over to Bulb from OVO and awaiting the transfer. I was looking at the various pages on your website and found this thread. I already have smart meters installed and the house is a rental. A condition of the rental agreement is that the meters cannot be replaced (unless of course they fail for example). How does this affect your smart meter rollout? Can't you just use the existing smart meters?

This article possibly answers your query: Switching to Bulb with a smart meter – Bulb

A condition of the rental agreement is that the meters cannot be replaced (unless of course they fail for example).
I don't believe that condition can be legally binding. If you pay the bills, there's little they can legally do to stop you having the meter changed, but I can undertand that you might not want to upset your landlord as they can most likely legally make your life difficult.

Presuming the meters you have are SMETS1, I can’t see why your landlord would have an issue with a newer SMETS2 meter though. Typically that kind of clause is put in to try and stop people having credit meters changed for pre-pay or the other way around.