Upgrade smart meter

When am I going to have the SMETS1 upgraded so that I can have the Pay Monthly Variable EV tariff? Every month is costing me money and with these enormous increases it’s costing me and more.

Hi John, welcome to Community :wave:

I have taken a look at your account and you have the second generation smart meters however they were not installed by Bulb.

We have been trying to take a reading once a month which sometimes can be the cause of these issues. I have updated the smart settings so we get more regular readings. Can you wait to see if electricity smart reads come through for this month and if not let me know and we can take a further look?

Thanks,

– KT :bulb:

Thanks Katie.

That is good news.

Does this mean then that I can get the Pay Monthly Variable EV? If so, why have I been told for months that it is not available? This has cost and continues to cost me money.

Hi @JohnPeters

One we are receiving regular readings directly from your smart meter, we can look at changing you over to the EV tariff, however at the moment, this is not happening.

We will need to wait until 26th of this month to see if your smart reads come through to us before we are able to discuss the potential of switching you to the EV tariff.

– Robyn :bulb:

Why, though, have you not updated the settings before? If it’s just a question of updating your system and there was no need for any work here, this could have been done months ago.

All the time I have been trying to switch and told the work hadn’t yet been done in my area. There was no need for any work. It was just a question of updating its system. It could have been done at any time and I could then have been on the lower tariff.

You have cost me money for no reason at all.

Hey @JohnPeters

It looks like we’ve been chatting with you via social media. I hope your query has been answered but please do let us know if you have any further questions.

– Robyn :bulb:

Thanks.

To be honest, I still don’t really understand it.

As far as I can make out the situation is as follows:

My meter is of the right kind.
No one needs to come to my house and replace or carry out work on it.
The system needs to be updated in some way so that Bulb can read it.
Bulb asked the DCC in or soon after March 2020 for this updating to take place.
The DCC has not carried out the necessary updating.

1. Is all that correct?

2. Are you able to say why the DCC has not done this work? What possibly could be stopping them from doing so?

3. Why did Katy say, ‘I have updated the smart settings so we get more regular readings. Can you wait to see if electricity smart reads come through for this month and if not let me know and we can take a further look.’ when it has not been anything to do with Bulb and you’re waiting on the DCC to update the settings?

4. Why did Bulb not update my settings before?

5. Why should Bulb’s updating of my settings mean that I may after all be able to switch tariffs when it’s been the fault of the DCC all along?

A lot of questions I know, but would appreciate if you’re able to answer them all.

Thanks.

Hi, anyone able to help with this, please?

Hi @JohnPeters,

Yeah, so you have got smart meters installed which have the capability of being on our EV tariff however unfortunately in your case the electricity meter is not connected with the DCC (smart network). This means we are not getting smart readings onto the account. Without these, we cannot move you onto the EV tariff.

We do not have full control over all the issues affecting your meter’s connection with the DCC and so in this case we do just need to wait for them to roll out improvements with your local areas connection.

I am sorry about this as I understand it is a frustrating situation.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,

– KT :bulb:

OK, thank you, Katie.

Could you confirm Bulb applied to the DCC for the connection soon after I joined? Or at least has requested the work in this area?

Is there some way I can apply to be connected or do we all just have to wait?

Thanks.